will a sitting duck go back ont he nest after moving it

quak2015

Hatching
Jul 1, 2015
One of our ducks is sitting on her eggs inside an old horse trailer. The problem is that it is 40 degrees out, and inside the trailer probably even more. I have water and food beside her and she seems to like that, however i worry that she eventually ove-r heats, or her eggs get too hot.... can i move her and the nest to a different location or will she not sit on them anymore.

One of our ducks is sitting on her eggs inside an old horse trailer. The problem is that it is 40 degrees out, and inside the trailer probably even more. I have water and food beside her and she seems to like that, however i worry that she eventually ove-r heats, or her eggs get too hot.... can i move her and the nest to a different location or will she not sit on them anymore. 

With experience, they don't stop sitting. We have to move our ducks when there sitting, to make sure the ducklings make it.

I would recommend moving her and her nest (AND EGGS!) to a cooler area. :)

thank you, I have done that right away, however the duck did not go back on the eggs - I placed them in the incubator- the momma then went and sat back on the old empty nest.. poor thing. Now i hope evertyhing will still go well and the eggs hatch, sadly i dont know exactly how many days shes been sittingon them, so im not sure when to stop turning the eggs in the incubator . I have to be very careful next year when they start brooding again.

Back
Top Bottom