Will a turkey mate with a chicken?

My Tom topped one of my Wyandotte girls the other day. Poor girl could only lay there and pant for about 5 minutes. Now even though he went through the motions, I have no idea if he was successful or not..I was sure he was going to kill her but she did get up and walk away.

Michelle

Thanks for all the replys - hoping my chick is a girl then not a worry - but have 6 more eggs in the incubator due in couple of weeks, so thought I would ask - new to turkeys - my how quick they grow!!!
cool.png

I haven't seen it with my turkeys yet, but I did see one of my quail mount a pheasant hen.

He couldn't reach what he was aiming for, but he tried like hell.

Guess my turkey is messed up in the head. I just caught him mounting my Americana. I now think that is what killed my other poor Americana. Luckily I caught this in time. I think my little hen would have been dead in another few minutes.

I've never had a turkey to try and breed a chicken. But I did have a rooster that was fond of trying to breed a hen turkey... And anything else that would hold still long enough.
Roosters will try to breed with anything. One of mine tried to breed with a colorful plastic bag flapping in the breeze! When he saw I was looking, he blushed and walked away, hoping the other roos didn't see him!
lau.gif
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom