Will a turkey mate with a chicken?

Betty-Eve

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
I have only just hatched a little turkey (1 out of 4 eggs) but have geese, ducks, chickens and will let them all roam together (all wormed regular) just wondered if I only have one tureky and its a stag will it try to mate the chickens? I have 2 cockerals with 12 chickens 1 male goose with 3 females 1 drake duck with 3 females - they dont bother one another just wondered with a turkey so similar to chickens will he try to mate them?

I caught my your Bourbon Red Tom on top of my same-aged Brahma hen. Luckily, she was wearing a hen saddle, but this still didn't fully protect her. My poor girl was absolutely covered by him as she patiently waited for him to finish. I gently moved him off of her and found her already bare back was freshly bruised more than it had been before. He is definitely fertile as I have 2 thriving eggs in my incubator from his BR hen.
You need to separate your chickens from your tom before he starts killing them.

I've read that you can cross chicken with turkey, but the offspring are all males
There are lots of false reports of chicken turkey hybrids on the internet but research on hybrids from crossing a chicken with a turkey is that there have never been any reported live offspring.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7288138

What normally happens from attempted chicken turkey matings are flattened (dead) chickens.

How do you think we got turkens? LOL J/K

I use to have a turkey thats was pretty fond of a basketball though.

I've never had a turkey to try and breed a chicken. But I did have a rooster that was fond of trying to breed a hen turkey... And anything else that would hold still long enough.
Roosters will try to breed with anything. One of mine tried to breed with a colorful plastic bag flapping in the breeze! When he saw I was looking, he blushed and walked away, hoping the other roos didn't see him!
lau.gif
gig.gif

turkeys are a different species they only try to mate with their own genus (aka turkey) otherwise if they do they're messed up in the head and GROSS!
sickbyc.gif

I have 3 toms that never mess with my chickens, but I have a 4th who was raised with chickens and he tries to mate with them...he's actually killed some of the younger chickens b/c he's so heavy.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom