Will Australorps Rooster over Barred Rock still be auto sexing, for sure?

moving coops

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2017
will they be auto sexing if this cross?

I have a meat cross post lower in this forum asking about rosters over.

Now I am thinking maybe putting 1 Australorps Rooster and 1 Brahma Rooster over my Barred hens. Both should be autosexing, right? And both I should be able to tell which if the father of the chick. As the Brahma cross should have feather shanks and maybe pea comb...

Hopefully both should be a nice carcass.
Maybe more breast meat on the Brahma cross but maybe not.

Anyone do these crosses.

My Australorps is huge. Size of Jersey giants.

Thanks kindly.

Yes, those will be sex linked. Not autosexing, since that's a term for breeds that breed true every generation for sex linking, and these would be a one-time cross. Females will be solid and males will be barred.

Yes, those will be sex linked. Not autosexing, since that's a term for breeds that breed true every generation for sex linking, and these would be a one-time cross. Females will be solid and males will be barred.

Thank you, so they for sure will be a distinct spot and no spot?

Do you think would be better for my meat cross just to have only my Huge Australorp rooster or him and my Brahma Rooster over the Barred hens.

I thought maybe the Brahma would crosss to make more. Meat, but not so sure now as my Australorp is huge.

But maybe a Brahma over Barred will produce more breast meat in the end because of body type?

Your Australorp/Barred Rock cross will be sex linked, first generation, with lovely white head dot on the males and all black chicks on the females.

Now as to your Brahma...what color do you have? Dark or Light or Buff? While the barring will still be sex linked, if you have a lighter brahma, that can throw lighter down colors from dad, I've had trouble seeing the head dot on wild type chicks if the base down is too light. Girls are pretty straight forward, nice dark chipmunk, but I've had to scrutinize some males.

Overall, I've figured it out with the wild type barring sex linkage, but a few will throw you....but I've not worked with Brahma colorings, so I'm not an expert on their genetics.

LofMc

Last edited:
I have two Light Brahma roosters and one buff Brahma, but my buff guy is not as big...

Back
Top Bottom