Will chickens come in to get water?

Kait27

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Central Massachusetts
I'm not trying to insult the intelligence of my four 10-week-old Buff Orps, but in New England, we're in a bit of a heat wave (topping 90°, air so thick you have to chew it). My chickens live in a cordoned-off section (3x6ft) of our shed, but spend most of their time in the outdoor enclosed run. The whole area is in a shady part of the yard, but the heat is still oppressive. Their food and water is kept inside the coop, which is always accessible to them via the pop door. Are chickens smart enough to go back inside for water when it's this hot? I know they come and go throughout the day, but it seems like they do most of their feeding when I close them inside the coop for the night. By keeping the waterer inside in the dark and shade, it lasts longer and doesn't get warm and algae-filled. I wonder if I should get another (probably smaller) waterer to keep outside. Quantity of water isn't an issue, they never come close to even getting low.
Any other suggestions on keeping them cool? I chose Buff Orp's for their winter-hardiness, not thinking about the fact that we also have hot summers.

It finally got warm here too. My chicks free range and don't come back for water or food all day. They have dug themselves in under the pines for the last 2 days so I put a small waterer out there for them. They seem to be used to room service and have me trained well.

I would keep water inside AND outside for them at all times. They will forage and survive on less food, but water is very important. I have a couple gallon sized plastic waterers and will be getting an electric water heater for the winter to put inside the coop.

If they know the water is there I would say they probably go inside and get it when needed. I only keep my water outside the coop and feed only inside. And they go inside to eat from it when they are hungry.

I'm in mass too and mine don't seem to realize they can go in, so I put a small waterer with them but they keep kicking dirt in it I'm going to put it on a wood block to see if it helps

I read somewhere that chickens don't quite think to drink unless the water is around where they are--so I have water in the run and coop. I use a large rubber livestock type of bowl in the run and set it up on a brick. when it is hot, I put a frozen milk jug in it to keep it cool.

i decided to err on the side of caution and picked up a small one-gallon plastic waterer to put outside. i forgot how much cheaper the plastic ones are than the big metal one i bought for inside the coop. not sure if they appreciate it or not, but its there for them if they want it. i did notice last night that when i went to check on them, they were all huddled together on the roost, panting and looking warm. spread out, theres no need to sit on top of each other!

I was wondering if mine would go back to the coop for water and feed, and I am only a week into this. So I sat hidden from their sight for a couple of hours and they pop back regular for water or pellets.

Back
Top Bottom