• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigBlueHen53

❤️ Exodus 20:8-11 ❤️
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
Hi guys. So last week I made a batch of yogurt, which I do on a regular basis and have done for years. And this particular batch failed for some reason. I suspect I let it cool too much before adding the starter, or it was too cool during the processing phase, not sure. Anyway, it hadn't even begun to set up after 6 hours so I put it back in the pot and started to reheat it (3 quarts). It seized up almost immediately and I ended up with a lump of something between feta and mozzarella cheese, and a huge amount of whey. (If anyone knows what I made, I wish they'd tell me so I can do it on purpose, DH loved it!)

Question: will the chickens drink it as is or should I add it to their water? It's been in the fridge as I've been meaning to ask y'all but kept forgetting. This afternoon I poured it into a shallow dish in their run, and Gracie, my Sheltie, loved it! She drank it like a dying man in a desert drinking spring water! I was seriously worried about her, but she seems perfectly fine.

Obviously it won't go to waste, as Gracie will finish it off, but, what's been your experience about the chickens? Maybe I should put some of their pellets into it to make a mash? Opinions please? Thanks.

The chickens aren't big on it. Some will drink a bit. Dogs usually get tired of it after a while, too (we used to make a lot of yogurt and [cheese. I meant cheese]).

I have no idea what you did. Maybe you could try to recreate? I know I like mine so thick that I have to take an electric mixer to it to take out all of the lumps, and I accomplished that by using about 1/4 cup of yogurt starter to 2.5 gallons or so, then overnight, 8-12 hrs. (Sadly, my parents got rid of the cow, so no more free milk for me :().

EDT: Any way that vinegar or lemon juice could have found its way in? You can make a simple, spreadable cheese that way, and I think it's a bit like feta.

The chickens aren't big on it. Some will drink a bit. Dogs usually get tired of it after a while, too (we used to make a lot of yogurt and [cheese. I meant cheese]).

I have no idea what you did. Maybe you could try to recreate? I know I like mine so thick that I have to take an electric mixer to it to take out all of the lumps, and I accomplished that by using about 1/4 cup of yogurt starter to 2.5 gallons or so, then overnight, 8-12 hrs. (Sadly, my parents got rid of the cow, so no more free milk for me :().

EDT: Any way that vinegar or lemon juice could have found its way in? You can make a simple, spreadable cheese that way, and I think it's a bit like feta.

Thanks, Sylvie. No, no vinegar or lemon juice in the kitchen at the time, but thanks for the thought! I may have to give that a try. I forgot to add that we did drain this thick stuff. It might have been spreadable at some point, lol, but it was to dense for spreading after draining.

I'm sorry you lost your cow, but I'm willing to bet that someday you'll have another, you Future Farmer, you! :hugs

I have drained my 6-hour yogurt to make a Greek yogurt. But I didn't really care for it. I just didn't like it that thick. Milk is so wonderful and versatile, something for everyone's preferences! Kinda like eggs! :)

Poultry are lactose intolerant. Evolution did not provide them with the proper enzymes to digest it. It can be fed however but not continously. The longest i have been able to offer it is 3 days before serious diarrhea showed up.

Doesnt seem to bother them that much when mixed with feed however.

Back
Top Bottom