Will chickens have a favorite human?

EmZoWe

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 2, 2015
America
Well, something like that.
When my family gets our chicks from the feed store, my brother and I will be taking care of the chicks. I'm the older sibling, he's 10, so I expect to do most of the work. However, my mother is adamant on splitting the work between us. I get two chicks and he gets the other two. Supposedly. However, they'll be spending most of the time together and I doubt they'll recognize which one of us is their owner.
But anyways, can we train chickens to like one of us more than the other? Like can I train my two to like me, and the other two will gravitate to my brother?

When my family gets our chicks from the feed store, my brother and I will be taking care of the chicks. I'm the older sibling, he's 10, so I expect to do most of the work. However, my mother is adamant on splitting the work between us. I get two chicks and he gets the other two. Supposedly. However, they'll be spending most of the time together and I doubt they'll recognize which one of us is their owner.
But anyways, can we train chickens to like one of us more than the other? Like can I train my two to like me, and the other two will gravitate to my brother?

I would suggest, instead, to work on making sure all four birds learn to trust and feel comfortable and loved by both of you so that no matter who is taking care of which chore on a given day the birds are happy to see that person.

BTW - welcome to BYC - so glad to have you joining us.
One thing to remember is that he who holds the treat is the "best human ever" in the eyes of a chicken - no matter who does the most "work" the birds remember the person who brings the good stuff. This often results in the person doing all the work feeling unappreciated when along comes "the slacker" (in terms of how much work is done) with a hand full of BOSS and the birds are all about running right up to them while the worker bee's arrival is regarded as something that is not cause for any sort of exctement. Chores aside, just spend time being with the birds, making yourself a part of their world and you will soon be greeted with eager faces when they so much as hear you coming. There are some great tips on socializing chicks in the Learning Center. One thing I encouraged both my children to do with our most recent flock is just to go in where the chicks were being brooded and be there. Do their homework, read a book, etc - and let the chicks wander about around them, climb on them, sleep on them, etc.

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Chickens like food. The person who brings the food (especially the treats) tends to be their 'favorite' person.

Even longer answer:

At my house, they know the sound of my husband opening the back door. If anyone else opens the door, even without coming out all the way, they know the difference. If it's him, they all run as fast as they can to the patio because they know he'll probably have a snack they really like. If he opens and shuts the door without coming out, they still go running to the door. If it's someone else, they usually don't bother. It seems he is their favorite for sure!

However, I spend a lot of my time with them; more time than any other person. They know me individually and not as a group. I am unquestionably Katy Pecky's favorite. Always have been and hope always to be!

They do seem to have a preference for certain individuals, even if they don't know them well. My niece met them once and Mary Poppins liked her instantly. She came back to visit four months later and it was still Mary Poopins.

I hope your brother will take care of them like he's supposed to. Otherwise, those chicks are going to love whoever takes care of them. :)

You could probably train them to come to you (and only you), but that might require the assistance of another person.

I think chickens have a favorite. But it is decided on how much time and treats you give them. But remember unhappy chickens are not very friendly.

They can tell difference between person,and ages.
Yes you can train them,but if your little brother spins more time with 1all of them,he'll likely be the more liked 1,Spinning valuable time with them (Both of you together),should help the situation.
My siblings scared to death of chickens,so they follow me because,I feed them,water,roost,talk and ETC with them

ThePRfan,good luck
Welcome to BYC!

Chickens don't like sudden movements, sudden noises, being grabbed, being chased, and things being thrown. Hopefully your brother will refrain from doing things like that with the chicks.

EDIT: That goes for all people & not just little brothers. :)

Last edited:
I think you and your brother just share the tasks take care them. There is no need to split the chicks or who doing more choir than other and give more and better treat. Just enjoy doing thing together, rather than create conflict between two brothers.

Chickens don't like sudden movements, sudden noises, being grabbed, being chased, and things being thrown. Hopefully your brother will refrain from doing things like that with the chicks.

EDIT: That goes for all people & not just little brothers.
smile.png
Chickens liked being grabbed,if docile.I grab mines all the time.And throwing things isn't too big of a bother....

Chickens liked being grabbed,if docile.I grab mines all the time.And throwing things isn't too big of a bother....

There is a difference between picking up and grabbing - grabbing is the sudden snatching up similar to what a predator would do and because it is surprising to the bird is less desirable than simply being picked up to be held, carried about, etc.

Back
Top Bottom