Will chickens stick their head into a hole in the wall 4 food / water

Jody

Songster
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
Epping, NH
I'm building a 2nd chicken coop for my new chicks since I wish to keep new chickens separate from the existing ones.

the floor space is 12 sq ft for 3 chickens.. 2 buff rock and 1 silver spangled hamburg. Since floor space is limited, external nesting boxes will be attached, giving them more space, and I thought about how a waterer and feeder would take up space, so thought about cutting a hole into a side wall where chicken could stick in its head to get food/water from a bowl contained inside the box, which would also make it easier for me to refill since I can open it from the outside instead of crawling into the coop. I'm thinking one hole for food and another for water.. How wide/high should the hole be for them to be able to get their head(s) in?

At some point I could expand the coop to be a little bigger, but for the time being, the plan is this.

I would make the holes 2" in diameter and 8-10" off the ground for full size birds or lower for smaller ones. 3" deep to get to the water\\food.
have fun,

Dirt

Last edited:
I'm betting they'd do it for a lot less......
lol.png

I just rescued a hen who stuck her head in to a hole for some spilled grain then underneath the container it spilled from and was flopping sideways. Chickens don't care where they stick their necks when food might be involved.

Back
Top Bottom