Will chilly outdoor temps affect a hatch with eggs under a broody?

sundayafternoon

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 23, 2012
So it should be about 15-20 degrees warmer here outside than it is, but today is my hatch day for my broody who has been sitting tight for 21 whole days. She has been doing great staying on the eggs most of the time minus about 15 minutes twice a day, but last night was pretty cold, down to 25 or so.

I am just wondering from those who have used broody hens to hatch in cold weather do you notice a delay in hatch?

This is my first time so I am all wound up with anxiousness and excitement. It will be a full 21 days about 6pm tonight ( I set fertile eggs from another hen under my broody). So I feel like I should be hearing a peep or maybe a pip but nothing so far from any of my eggs.

I know it is on time, not late yet, I just wonder if anyone things the cold outside temps will slow down hatch. It should be above freezing every night, but it has been below for the last 4 or 5 nights. The temp today is nice about 40 degrees, but we are looking at a snow storm starting in the next 36 hours so temps back down to around 32.

Any thoughts or advice welcome.

I know there is a good broody hen thread but it is sooo long it is hard to find info in it. Thanks

I dont think that it affects the hatch, if you go to the old fashioned broody hen thread there is alot of people who have hatched in the winter and did fine. You should try giving mixed corn if it makes you feel better as it warms the broody puche up more :)

Back
Top Bottom