Will Eating a Whole Mouse Hurt a Hen?

I've seen mine eat the following & survived
sickbyc.gif

mice
pinky mice
pinky possums
sickbyc.gif

6 inch copperhead

Only thing they WOULDNT touch was the ludefisk that was left over from Xmas day or major holidays. LOL Smart birdies say I!!! We kids didnt want to touch it either <but we were required in our family to eat it and put up with it and not complain about it...even if just a small bit on the plate>

Linnie Aquavit is made so that people can get near Lutefisk! Without that firewater no one could get near it!! But.. It wouldnt be Christmas without it!​

Mine have eaten frogs and a TONNE of garter snakes (our homestead is on a snake migration route)....No ill effects just dont get between the chickens and the newly found protein source...My girls would get pretty possessive of any bits of meat that end up in thier run ESPECIALLY if it is still moving.

Our nest barrels are 55 gal drums cut in half shortways so we ALWAYS have mouse nests under them. Everytime we feed my 4 year old lifts the barrels and lets the chickens raid the mouse nests. It is hilarious to watch the chickens chasing each other because they think the other has a mouse and they don't. Our chickens KNOW we are going to move the barrel so they can look and they will all gather around and line up to see what runs out.

Ours eat the chipmunks. It seems they would eat the sqirrels if they could run them down.

This fall our americauna obviously had something large wiggling in her crop, she kept bending over to peck at it like it hurt. But she is out there today, no ill effects, its been a few months.

Discovered during good weather that chickenfeed is untouched, the chickens eat everything else in and around the garden. We don't have a problem with japanese beetles at all! but now that its frozen snow outside, they need their feed and I'm almost out! I just cooked up a batch of hamburger with corn grits and peas for them to nosh over the weekend. And I hung a batch of dandelieon greens (bought from the store) to help them keep busy in their warm little coop. But they miss the outside. They run out just to chase the squirrels around the bird feeder then complain about the cold and hop back into their warm little coop.

Velociraptors, says my dear husband.

Back
Top Bottom