Will Eating a Whole Mouse Hurt a Hen?

i wonder if i put some fake brown/ grey fur the size of a mouse and put it on fishing line..... i wonder if the chickens would chase that????

potential new game will be invented soon....
wink.png

i found the chickens with pieces of a large mouse once....

Rei Mirra

I think you are on to something, teach chickens to chase a lure, (fluffy mouse, etc) and we could have chicken races.

I think anytypE of meat for omnivors is ok ,as long as the bone's arn't cooked, though cooking a mouse is kind of nasty;)

I set 5 mouse traps in my hay barn every night and every morning the chickens fight over who will get the 5 mouse morsels. Mice,snakes, frogs and just about everything that has protein will get a chickens heart a beating.
droolin.gif

Yikes! I had no idea! I've actually known I had a mouse in our coop the last week or two, but once I set a couple of live traps and caught one I hoped I was done with that. So what did I discover this morning but at least three more cheeky mice hanging out in the coop (and it's not that big!). They've been able to hide under a planter I'd put in there for the hens to nap in. If I remove the planter so there's one less place to hide is it really likely the 4 hens can keep the population under control? I can't believe a hen can swallow a whole mouse! I really don't want to have to resort to poison, it's outdoors so I'm not sure how safe a rat zapper would be, and I don't think the live traps I'm using will stay ahead of the curve. It's my first time with rodents so any advice is most welcome.

Back
Top Bottom