Will geese harass a beehive?

cottontail farm

Crowing
9 Years
Dec 26, 2014
Rural NW Pa
I can't even believe I have to ask this question but due to reputation geese have for shenanigans here goes.
Will geese harass honeybees or a wooden hive if I put one in their fenced yard? I used to keep bees in the yard and the chickens ignored them. The geese however, like to mess with stuff. This winter they have been busily eating the wood off of a prefab coop, apparently because it is a fun thing to do.

They do like to tinker with everything, I can’t say for sure either way if they will touch the hive or not, they all have different personalities, I have one girl that likes to chew on the Japanese maple but no one else does for example.

This winter they have been busily eating the wood off of a prefab coop, apparently because it is a fun thing to do.

Mine have done the same thing! They are eating their way into the nestbox area. I can only imagine what the bantam cochins think. I'd not due to the hive being wooden, unless you can elevate it beyond where they can investigate it with their mouths.

Mine have done the same thing! They are eating their way into the nestbox area. I can only imagine what the bantam cochins think. I'd not due to the hive being wooden, unless you can elevate it beyond where they can investigate it with their mouths.
That's funny because my coop they are harassing is bantams too! A little group of booted bantams. Maybe they are just super curious about the little guys?

That's funny because my coop they are harassing is bantams too! A little group of booted bantams. Maybe they are just super curious about the little guys?

Mine have never paid much attention to the bantams, but I've also never let them be in the same pen. They do; however, hate my Silkie rooster and will actively seek him out to destroy him. I've no idea why. But they detest him. Like breeding season levels of aggression if they discover him out of his secure little dog run. And even in the dog run he's constantly watched and they harass him through the fence.

Mine have never paid much attention to the bantams, but I've also never let them be in the same pen. They do; however, hate my Silkie rooster and will actively seek him out to destroy him. I've no idea why. But they detest him. Like breeding season levels of aggression if they discover him out of his secure little dog run. And even in the dog run he's constantly watched and they harass him through the fence.

They're hatin' cuz he's beautiful... LOL
In all truth it's more likely because of his feathers looking more like mammal fluff..... fluffy things = danger to "cobra chickens" (if you've never seen that short story/ tweet about a goose circulating I 10/10 recommend finding it.... it's great stuff).

They're hatin' cuz he's beautiful... LOL

He's hideous so that's definitely not it. lol

In all truth it's more likely because of his feathers looking more like mammal fluff..... fluffy things = danger to "cobra chickens" (if you've never seen that short story/ tweet about a goose circulating I 10/10 recommend finding it.... it's great stuff).

Don't I know it!? They were horribly offended at the presence of miniature dachshunds when they first came to live with me. They must have thought they were very large weasels or something. The amount of hissing and undignified goose noises if they even spied the little darlings out in the yard. Standard poodles receive standard hisses and nips through the fence if they stand still long enough. Squirrels are evil and must be destroyed. Opossums are equally offensive. Apparently owls are fine to park on and eat a chicken in the pen during the wee hours of the morning. Something large and furry was also allowed to break wire and snatch a pullet out of the pen that was sleeping behind the house (because the geese bully newbies off the perches). However, should they decided to take their children to the pool and abandon them in the cold water and the human who feeds and loves them comes to rescue the babies after one had already drowned he must be destroyed. I literally felt like Julianna Moore and Jeff Goldblum in The Lost World when they had the baby Tyrannosaur.

Back
Top Bottom