Will Hens Go (Or Stay) Broody After June 21st?

Prince and Pavo

Songster
Apr 4, 2023
Hello!

I have been looking forward to incubating some peafowl eggs this summer. Currently I am unable to use my incubator, as my neighbor has it at the moment. I do not want to assume that I will get it back in time before the breeding season is over, so my plan was to use a broody (chicken) hen to hatch the eggs that I get, since I don’t have any peahens.

Here’s my problem: if broodiness is triggered by an increasing amount of daylight hours, then wouldn’t hens no longer go broody (or stop setting in the middle of incubation) after June 21st, which is the longest day of the year? I’m hoping I’m wrong and they will continue setting through the summer, but logically that’s how I processed the idea. What does everyone think? Any knowledge or experiences anyone would like to share? TIA!!

Oh, thank you so much! You don’t know what a relief that is 😅. Now I’m hoping some of my chickens will go broody soon… I currently have five hens that have chicks that they hatched. Thanks again!

I am curious to know why hens’ broodiness would continue even after the summer solstice, since it’s caused by increasing light hours… Could it be that it’s actually caused by the length of daylight in a day rather than increasing daylight? Any ideas?

My latest hatch under a broody was a few years ago when my Orpington's hatch date was the beginning of September. (I was definitely worried about such a late hatch with everything getting colder.) I don't think daylight hours really matter, because I think some people has had winter brooders. To me, it was more of a temperature thing not really daylight or season. (Season as in, it's always made out that chicks hatch in the Spring, but all my broodies went broody in the summer to warm Fall.) I'm not really sure. It could really depend on the hen itself.

I know a game hen who decided to start incubating eggs in mid December, out on a hillside. Due to owner circumstances, getting across the creek and up the steep hill to her nest site was impossible at the time. An arctic cold front swept through bringing temps down below freezing. She stayed put and hatched babies out in early January. She weaned the babies at around the 3 month age and didn't lose a single one. This hen has successfully raised babies multiple times every year for several years.

I am curious to know why hens’ broodiness would continue even after the summer solstice, since it’s caused by increasing light hours… Could it be that it’s actually caused by the length of daylight in a day rather than increasing daylight? Any ideas?
Broodiness is caused by hormones, which might be affected by day length....
...but I wouldn't count on it, get another incubator.

Back
Top Bottom