Will I need insulation?

QuackerOats

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
I'm about half way done building my coop and I'm not sure wether I need to insulate it or not. Need some help!
big_smile.png

The summers here are usually anywhere between 70ºF to 95ºF and the winters can get down to about 10ºF. I will have three Rhode Island Red/cross chickens in a 3 foot by 5 foot coop.

Is there any other information that would be helpful?

Thanks!
big_smile.png

I insulated my coop - walls and roof. Necessity in my neck of the woods. It's a personal choice. Fewer chickens = lower body heat generation. It will add to your construction costs, but it will also keep your heat bill down as well as keep the coop cooler in the summer. Insulation must be sealed into the wall (I used thin plywood) or the chickens will peck/eat it. Do a search (in the blue bar above) and there is a TON of information on this forum. Good luck!

Chickens adapt surprisingly well, but, as others have said, it depends how many you have.
I also think it depends on how shielded from the wind and elements their coop is.

My uncle has chickens in the mountains (& one of the coldest areas in my state) and he doesn't use insulation.
They do a lot better than you think, but long periods of severe cold may leas you to.
Remember though, that in the summer at 95* you're going to have to have some abundant ventilation or else they will fry with a super insulated coop.

Back
Top Bottom