Will Malay roosters mate naturally with European hens?

Shoshki

Hatching
Aug 19, 2023
Hi all chicken lovers out there :)
I'm really curious if anyone has experience with my question. I'm intersted to know if Malay roosters will mate naturally with european hens, like Leghorn hens, for examples. And what about the other way around? Would leghorn roosters mate maturally with Malay hens?
Would they do mate with the different breed even if they had roosters/hens from their own breed together?
Thank so much for the info whoever can help!

Yes, Malays are quite capable of breeding with Leghorns and other European breeds. Some breeds have been developed from such crosses, including Rhode Island reds and Kraienkoppes. Even tiny bantams are capable of breeding with much larger chickens. When there's a will then there's a way when it comes to chicken reproduction.

thanks @JedJackson !
would malay roosters still mate with leghorn hens if even if they also had malay hens to choose from, or only if they had to mate with european hens?
Yes, they would. Chickens don't care about breed when it comes to mating. Roosters have their favorite hens, but generally they get around to breeding all the hens so long as the number isn't too high. Some roosters can handle a dozen hens, some are better with 5 to 7.

Back
Top Bottom