Will momma duck move her eggs around before they hatch?

meganelizabeth

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2015
Daisey, my Peking female, has laid about 21 eggs that are visible. I know they are due to hatch soo but dont know the exact day. Through the whole process of laying on her eggs they have been in hole she dig and in the hay nest all nice and neat. This morning i took a peak at the nest and they were still neat but they werent as deep. They were more closer to the top of the nest kind of spread out but still all together. So my question is, will the momma duck move the eggs like this so they can hatch and if so about how long should i expect them too?

Impressed most Pekin have as much mothering instinct as a doorknob lol. Good luck. Hope she achieves some little ones. Kits too? wow, bred lionheads eons ago but have gone out of that...

This year i am hopeful to be 'babyless' on the farm, have our own two legged one coming with our oldest expecting that is more than enough excitement for one year.

Last edited:
Ya, my girl Triumph does that. 20+ eggs. If they're close to hatching, I'd leave them. She might be moving them around to try to keep them all the same temp so they hatch at the same time. If she gets off her nest, you can try to do a quick candle. See if they're all progressing at the same rate. If there's any duds, bads or clears, take em out. If you have an incubator, you can try to hatch some for her and the same goes if some hatch and she leaves the nest with a bunch of her lings but leaves viable eggs behind and doesn't return.

WARN A PERSON WHEN POSTING THAT MUCH CUTENESS!!!!!!
I'd incubate all of them then. Just try to leave it running as long as you dare to make sure it's stable. (Before putting eggs in)

Last edited:
Precious little ducklings!!
love.gif

These are my big boys! Don is the Mallard, Donald is the Pekin (His girlfriend is Daisey, also a Pekin) and Daffy is the black Runner!
I am in love with them. They are super chunk and cute of round. Then, yes, the webs. Aren't webs just a great accessory that tie the whole package of chubby duck sparkplug chunk all together? Why?

I know that mama ducks do move the eggs around. Are you concerned with the way all of the eggs are piled up? Any idea how much time mama spends sitting on the eggs?

I'm going to tag some members that have experience with hatching.

@caesargirl
@casportpony
@Miss Lydia

Back
Top Bottom