Will my Broody Hen accept store bought chickens?

She's a production blue,which they shouldn't even be going broody but so far 4 out of the 5 have gone broody multiple times and they're only 2 years old.
It's probably the older age. The older a hen gets, the more likely she'll go broody. But because of her breed, I'd keep a VERY close eye on her around the chicks for the first couple of days. You never know when you got a bad broody. After she's been sitting for at least a week or more, try sneaking one chick under her. If she accepts it, place the others under her within 6-12 hours of her having the first. Keeping a very close eye for the first couple of days.

It's probably the older age. The older a hen gets, the more likely she'll go broody. But because of her breed, I'd keep a VERY close eye on her around the chicks for the first couple of days. You never know when you got a bad broody. After she's been sitting for at least a week or more, try sneaking one chick under her. If she accepts it, place the others under her within 6-12 hours of her having the first. Keeping a very close eye for the first couple of days.
I currently have 1 broody who's been sitting for 3 days. I was going to let her sit for 2 weeks then try and give her chicks. Do you think that's too long?

I have found that the broody needs to have been sitting for at least 2 weeks before they willingly accept chicks from the store.

Some never accept chicks no matter how long they have sat.

If giving a hen chicks and she is on eggs that are not within a day of hatching the eggs should be pulled and thrown away. She will need to get off the nest to care for the chicks so developing eggs are likely (almost guaranteed) to die.
Oh good,this just answered my question. I am planning on letting my broody sit for a minimum of 2 weeks before trying to give her chicks.

How many hours old were the chicks?
I’m torn and looking for advice

My friend wants to put chicks I hatched for her today under a broody that has eggs under her too which are supposed to hatch on the 29th.
They are drying in my incubator and I assumed she would take them right from the bator to her broody….. that’s what I would do the fresher the better lol. She asked if she could get them tomorrow and I’m so worried that she’s missing the window to do this…… I have a feeling the chicks I just hatched will just be better off added to my own flock ( not the plan tho 😞)

If they stay the night I will be putting them in a brooder and starting them on food and water…..
if she actually gets them tomorrow (1 day might turn into several)
Should I just tell her if she wants the chicks tomorrow instead of today then they need to go to brooder?

Sorry I’m just so worried these little babies will be killed by all the crazy

Her broody is a first time mama 12 months old

From my experience, she hasn't been sitting long enough to accept them. You can try but watch carefully. I tried once with mine and she attacked the chicks.
l

My friend wants to put chicks I hatched for her today under a broody that has eggs under her too which are supposed to hatch on the 29th.
They are drying in my incubator and I assumed she would take them right from the bator to her broody….. that’s what I would do the fresher the better lol. She asked if she could get them tomorrow and I’m so worried that she’s missing the window to do this…… I have a feeling the chicks I just hatched will just be better off added to my own flock ( not the plan tho 😞)

If they stay the night I will be putting them in a brooder and starting them on food and water…..
Should I just tell her if she wants the chicks tomorrow instead of today then they need to go to brooder?

l
If the eggs are due to hatch the 29th and if she puts them under the broody today or tomorrow, she'll abandon her other eggs. Also, how she's so young, I'd be very cautious about putting chicks under her. She may attack them. (Always watch a new mother for the first few days because you never know how she's going to be. It doesn't matter if she hatched the chicks herself or not.)

Personally, I would raise them separately so to not overwhelm the first time, young mother. It is possible for mother hens to have a lot of chicks, so if you are willing to try and she's good with her own, then I would slowly introduce them within the first 24 hours of the first chick hatching under her (so before she leaves the nest with her own babies).

If the eggs are due to hatch the 29th and if she puts them under the broody today or tomorrow, she'll abandon her other eggs. Also, how she's so young, I'd be very cautious about putting chicks under her. She may attack them. (Always watch a new mother for the first few days because you never know how she's going to be. It doesn't matter if she hatched the chicks herself or not.)

Personally, I would raise them separately so to not overwhelm the first time, young mother. It is possible for mother hens to have a lot of chicks, so if you are willing to try and she's good with her own, then I would slowly introduce them within the first 24 hours of the first chick hatching under her (so before she leaves the nest with her own babies).
Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate you taking time to answer me!!

l

What breed is her broody? Some do better than others at adopting.
How many chicks? How many eggs under the broody?

All they can do is try and be ready to brooder raise them if things go south.
I have had good mamas and really bad ones.
Store bought chicks are at least 3 days old when I get them and my super mama would adopt them no problem.

What breed is her broody? Some do better than others at adopting.
How many chicks? How many eggs under the broody?

All they can do is try and be ready to brooder raise them if things go south.
I have had good mamas and really bad ones.
Store bought chicks are at least 3 days old when I get them and my super mama would adopt them no problem.

Resized_20240326_191033.jpeg

She’s not sure on the breed and all I have to go off of is this picture!

Here she is sitting on the eggs!

And just for fun here’s a picture of the chicks I hatched yesterday with the intention to go under broody
IMG_0294.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom