Broody hen raising store chicks

Quinnten

Chirping
10 Years
Nov 24, 2012
I've got a broody hen sitting on four eggs that are due to hatch around the 18-19 of this month. She took up residency in a favorite nesting box of my flock so as soon as they hatch and dry I'll be moving momma and the kids to a separate brooding pen as sometimes the other hens bully her off the nest and I don't want that happening to her after they hatch, and also I want to know they will be able to eat the chick starter feed in peace away form the others who may eat it before them. Anyways, my wife and I have been wanting to add to our flock of 26, 25 hens and a roo, because our demand for eggs is outgrowing our available supply. This evening we purchased 6 littles from our local Rural King, so my question at hand is how and when should we add our littles in with our broody hen? Also, is there anything else we should look out for or be aware of? This is our first time letting a hen sit on eggs and trying to add littles in with her brood so we have two firsts that neither one of us have experience with. We have a contingency plan in the case that she doesn't accept the store bought littles as her own so we have that covered just in case?

Since the eggs are about to hatch in a few days,, I suggest you place your store chicks under hen now. She should accept them as hers, and still sit the extra couple days to finish the hatching. Do the placement in darkness for best results. Just slip under hen and watch what happens. It may still be enough light for you to see,, but chickens do not have very good night vision.
Make sure they are safe from the other non broody chickens access. Figure out how to isolate them safely in the current nesting box. Then when the final chicks hatch,, you can move the whole tribe to the new brooding area.
You may choose to add just 2 or 3 at first,,, and the rest the next day. Chickens are not all that good at chicken math. Neither are people.:gig
Make sure to provide starter feed, and fresh water. Important to know,,,,,,, make sure water dish is not too deep, to prevent chick drowning. A common solution is to place marbles into water dish.. Stones work also.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Back
Top Bottom