Will my chicks be ready for the coop ?

starlitchicken

Chirping
Apr 30, 2023
I have 16 chicks , 3-6 are particularly rambunctious. They will be 3 weeks on Monday. Do you guys think they would be coop ready by week 5 ? They are growing quite a bit of feathers. I’ll be sectioning off the coop for them so they will be away from the big girls. (They are second hand chickens) Here’s a pic of how feathered some of them are:
0D854A5F-858A-4C96-8B65-8B606242A0D4.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you guys think they would be coop ready by week 5 ? They are growing quite a bit of feathers. I’ll be sectioning off the coop for them so they will be away from the big girls.
What are the daytime and nighttime temperatures where you are? Unless it's very cold, they will likely be fine at 4-5-weeks without supplemental heat in the coop. I wouldn't try releasing them with the big girls until they are 7-8 weeks old, though.

What are the daytime and nighttime temperatures where you are? Unless it's very cold, they will likely be fine at 4-5-weeks without supplemental heat in the coop. I wouldn't try releasing them with the big girls until they are 7-8 weeks old, though.
Thank you. It’s usually 75-80 degrees in the day and a bit cooler than that at night.

Thank you. It’s usually 75-80 degrees in the day and a bit cooler than that at night.
The important temperatures are the lows, not the highs.

They will be 3 weeks on Monday. Do you guys think they would be coop ready by week 5 ?
As long as they have decent ventilation and are protected from a cold wind, absolutely ready as long as your low temperatures are not approaching freezing.

Back
Top Bottom