Will My Cracked Egg Still Hatch?

Pics
So, here's my story, I'm hoping for some advice......
I have a Maran doing the natural hatching thing, she's been sitting on her 8 eggs for about 17 days now. I have candled all the eggs and they all have lots of movement and seem about the same size (the embryo inside)
My problem is, yesterday around 3 in the afternoon, we took the eggs out for a final candeling look, and my 2 year old son somehow managed to snatch one of the eggs from the basket, and before I could stop him, he kinda banged the egg on a shelf. It got a cracked dent the size of the pad on my thumb and some hairline cracks that went almost halfway around.
The dent had some raised edges that were raised up and kinda seperated from the egg, but no pieces of the shell fell off, and there was no leakage from any cracks. I felt horrible. I did immediatley put clear nail polish on all the cracks, and then I just put it back under the hen. I figured if it was gonna die, it would do so overnight. But today when I checked it (candled it) to see if it had died, it was still moving a lot. Should I let it stay under my hen? I'm worried it will contaminate my other eggs. The nail polish is not where it would be pipping, so no danger of it getting trapped if it was to survive. Does anyone think it has a chance of hatching and did I do the right thing in terms of repair? Thanks to all who have advice!!!
This is an old post, but I was just going to say that I have never candled eggs that are under a hen. They know what they are doing.

I would be inclined to leave it with the hen. I have used candle wax on cracks and had some success.
I also had a couple eggs go bad but with dark shells, I had difficulty knowing it so I left them. It wasn’t until all others hatched and I finally gave up and cracked these open that I found they had died early on maybe days 10-15.
I’ve heard about bad news eggs exploding and contaminating the rest, but never experienced it.
Best of luck. Would love to hear how it turns out.

Reviving an old thread. I'm interested in whether anyone has had luck patching a 11 to 12 day egg?

I have 6 live eggs with my hen. She is a big, old langshan, and it looks like she stepped on one.
We started with 10 eggs.
I candle the eggs day 7, no crack then.
Yesterday, I pulled the 4 that had looked clear on day 7. ( I tossed these, after I candle yesterday, and confirmed them as clear.)
I noticed the crack/hole then and candled it today. It has a very active chick inside. The membrane is intact, and there is no leakage.
I put a small band-aid over the crack.
*I didn't use liquid bandage on it, not knowing if it would be absorbed through the membrain.
I didn't put it in the incubator, because I have 5 eggs in there (for backup), and I don't want to chance cross contamination.

Any suggestions for increasing this chick's chances?

I usually don't candle eggs under my hens, but there was one egg in particular that I was interested in.

Back
Top Bottom