Will My Cracked Egg Still Hatch?

What a great idea! I never heard of wax or polish helping!
Wish I knew this before!
hmm.png

Thank you for this thread! I found a cracked Ameraucana egg under my hen today. I waxed it, and put it back under her. It's only a few more days - hang in there, chicky!

Oh I am so glad I found this. I accidently dropped the egg (wanda) on the candler and it cracked the end. I am going to wax it, it is day 9 and I was heartbroken! New hope!!

WOW! Im glad this ol' thread is still helping others after it helped me! Funny thing....the egg I cracked, we still have the hen that hatched from it and she is the best layer and broody momma we have ever had!
smile.png

This thread is like a zombie- it keeps popping up long after we thought it died!
lol.png

Last edited:
I watched a You-Tube movie titled Repairing a Cracked Egg. I think it was by a big name silkie breeder in California. She repaired the crack with liquid Bandage that can be bought in most drug stores. Then I read about candle wax here on BYC, I've tried both ways and they worked fine. I always thought that nail polish solvent would kill the chick, but live and learn.
smile.png

Nail polish 'solvent'? I used plain clear nail polish (not the polish solvent/remover), not thinking much about the chemicals at the time. Later on when I did think about it, I did think maybe the chemicals could be harmful, but candle wax also has alot of stuff in it that is not so good for a deveoping embryo, and I didnt have any wax at the time, so.....polish it was!

Liquid bandaide sounds like a great option- gonna add that to my chicken first aide kit. THANKS for the idea!

I was also worried about using wax because I didnt want the wax to melt while the egg was under a warm broodys' bum and end up with a waxy hens butt and an egg that died because the wax melted off and bacteria got in.

I tend to over-think stuff in while in egg crisis mode
hmm.png

Quote:
I've read this thread a couple times. I'm so glad to hear an update from the OP and hear that the chick made it and is doing so well. :)

Back
Top Bottom