Will My Duck be laying eggs soon?

Akpahsj

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
So I went outside with my sister and I was watching my ducks. We have 3 ducks, 3 chickens, and 1 goose all together.
So 2 ducks our drakes, 1 is a hen, but the younger drake is too young to breed yet.
So my hen was acting really weird, puffing up her feathers, and running around the pen. She lay down in front of the water dish, and it seemed she was trying to 'swim' even though it is the type of water dish where you fill it up at the top and it fills up around it.
So My drake was also acting weird, 'swimming' in the air.
Then, he walked up to her, and started bobbing his head up and down, quacking. He climbed on to her, but then my sister was dumb and ran up to the cage, so they stopped and walked away.

I believed that ducks could only mate in the water, so we cleaned out the pool and filled it up, but so far nothing has happened.

So will she lay eggs? I've never seen them like this, They have been making themselves look good all day!

It's actually a very nice day today, and there isn't even snow on the ground! We usually get snow before halloween.

Yes, they were mating, and she could start this year, or next, depends on the breed and how old they are.... How old are they?

Oh my Hen is a Buff, and My drake is a Welsh Harlequin. I actually don't know how old they are, but she laid eggs in June, and they hatched in early July. So the young drake is actually their kid.
Sad story actually.
We didn't know you were supposed to separate the pair when the hen was setting, so the drake stepped all over the eggs. Two hatched, and he drowned one of them in the water dish. So we took the other one in the house, and raised him.

Quote:
Oh, thats so sad
hit.gif
so she.only laid two eggs the whole year?

Well seven actually. One was rotten, and the drake stepped on the rest. It was so sad! We dug the eggs out of the nest and there were fully developed ducklings in them ready to hatch, but the drake had stepped on them so they were all dead.
hit.gif

Thats so sad! im sorry!
hugs.gif
so how many did she lay this year, a good amount? If she isnt laying she probably wont lay till next year...

Ya those were the only eggs she laid this year, so far none after that. I'm gonna go check on them right now, so I'll fill you in.

Back
Top Bottom