Will my female Cayuga become depressed?

finleyfthood

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
I had 2 ducks that I raised together, Krunk and Floyd. Krunk was an awful large male Pekin and Floyd is my female Cayuga. This morning my husbands dog killed Krunk and Floyd made it out before she was killed. Now she's alone and has been looking around for Krunk for hours after watching him get taken out of the enclosure.

Will she be alright alone until I manage to get another duck? Or will she become depressed and end up dying? They were super close and always freaked out when separated for any reason.

If I should get another duck, should it be a speedy process? And if I can't get one quickly, should I look into rehoming her to a family with other ducks already?

All information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jasmine

Oh, poor Floyd! She'll be grieving for some time for sure, but it really is best to get her another friend, even if she may not bond with them immediately out of grief and loss. A better question is, what's going to happen to the killer dog?

I'm going to have to look into getting another duck then. It's hard with the time of year, but I'm sure I can make it work.

As for my husbands dog, she got spanked. But we figured out how she got in as well so we are going to be staking the fence down and then adding a wooden barrier around the enclosure as well since our dogs aren't diggers. Sadly, this is the first time she got in and she's young so I'm going to be working with her from here on out so she knows not to even approach the fencing if she see's them like 2 of our other dogs.

I'm going to have to look into getting another duck then. It's hard with the time of year, but I'm sure I can make it work.

As for my husbands dog, she got spanked. But we figured out how she got in as well so we are going to be staking the fence down and then adding a wooden barrier around the enclosure as well since our dogs aren't diggers. Sadly, this is the first time she got in and she's young so I'm going to be working with her from here on out so she knows not to even approach the fencing if she see's them like 2 of our other dogs.

Forgive me, I just...I really don't trust dogs with birds. Like, at all. Too many heartbreaks. I hope the barriers help, at the very least.

It is hard to find birds late summer, but I really hope you manage. You're looking for an adult duck, I imagine? That surely would be easier than finding pullets or ducklings. I also wanted to tell you that you're one brave lady for immediately putting Floyd's welfare first, if it means rehoming her. I hope it won't come to that, though. :/ Is she afraid of the dogs?

Sorry for your loss! While you're finding another duck, it would probably help Floyd if you put an unbreakable mirror in an area she frequents. I hope you're able to quickly find her a friend.

Oh! Also, does the breed matter? Pekins probably aren't too terribly difficult to get right now!

Thank you. I hope all works out for me. She used to not be as much as I had hoped she would. But now she see's them and starts quacking and heads for her coop where she is definitely safe at. Breed doesn't matter to me right now. But later it will when I start looking for a male Cayuga. But a Pekin would be perfect due to Krunk was my 4 yr old sons duck and he is demanding him be replaced, lol.

I will definitely look into a mirror and hope to find one today.

And wouldn't it probably be better to get a female?

Mm, it might be. But if Krunk and Floyd were a bonded pair, she may be wanting for male attention. :p Finley, is there not enough room to get another drake AND another hen? 3 is a nice small flock number, and it will ease the pain some if you suffer another tragedy. That way the two remaining ducks would be able to bond together.

Actually, I have plenty of room for 2 extra, if not probably 6 with the size of the enclosure and coop, I might look for a hen as well if I can find them both full grown. Otherwise I'll have to raise a couple ducklings indoors for a month. Which will be a handful, but I'll do it.

Back
Top Bottom