Will rat poison kill mongoose?

theuglyduckling

Crowing
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
puerto rico
I have a mongoose that keeps coming around the chicken coop/run at night and eating and killing crabs around the property. I decided to put rat poison in a kennel that he digs a hole to get to. He at at least a cup ful yesterday night and last night. How much poison gets rid of them? I was kind of surprised that it came back again and ate the whole thing and didnt die. Will rat poison kill them?

You will know more about it than we. Is it the blood thinner type poison or the other one.... the heavy metal. I would think either one would be fatal if he ate enough of it. It might take a day or two. They are slow acting to allow the victim to leave the area.

You will know more about it than we. Is it the blood thinner type poison or the other one.... the heavy metal. I would think either one would be fatal if he ate enough of it. It might take a day or two. They are slow acting to allow the victim to leave the area.

i didnt know there was a difference in rat poison thought they were all the same. I wouldnt be able to say which one because the trash was taken last night. I guess i will just wait and see but going by your comment rat poison will kill them then?

Rat poison is not your solution. If you deem the threat he poses important enough to kill him, your best bet would be to trap him.

Don't know if you can legally use them, but if so, maybe a 110 or 120 conibear type body grip should do it. Build yourself a mink box and the trap goes in that. Gotta be careful you don't kill someone's dog or cat though.

If a body grip trap is not an option, and you need to do something in a hurry, you may try something like this bamboo rat trap......scale it to fit your mongoose? With appropriate bait?

If a body grip trap is not an option, and you need to do something in a hurry, you may try something like this bamboo rat trap......scale it to fit your mongoose? With appropriate bait?
What a great idea!!
This guy makes some of the best videos I've ever seen...short and to the point, no babbling, and great footage.
Thanks for posting @Howard E !

I'm not sure if rat poison would work but I would think it would. I had a coop that was infested with rats. We made a mistake and put an inner wall too around the bottom of a coop, I know not why, the rats chewed holes and built nest between the inner and outer walls. I tore out the part the rats had got into. I put rat baits in the coop and the rats did die but they carried some of the bait into adjacent pens where some birds got to it and died. I was sick. I put more bait into the empty coop and closed it off so they couldn't carry it off and put some in our barn where I had also seen some rats. In some places I used the bait stations. The bait that came with the bait stations didn't work very well so I bought some other bait and used it and it worked. It did kill the rats. Maybe it will work for mongoose. They eat it but it usually takes a couple of days or so before you will see any dead rats (mongoose).
RatBaitA.jpg RatBaitStation.jpg IMG_20180214_123653.jpg IMG_20180220_165446.jpg

Back
Top Bottom