Will size of a Jersey Giant Roo deter a red fox?

Red and Roe Deer....and Red Fox are the normal species here in France... this is a very rural area and they are bold and prolific..it is quite common to see them hunting during daylight hours.

Red and Roe Deer....and Red Fox are the normal species here in France... this is a very rural area and they are bold and prolific..it is quite common to see them hunting during daylight hours.
That clarifies. Your roe deer are only 1/3 to 1/4 the size of our white-tailed deer but your red fox is about the same size. I am in a rural location as well with foxes (both red and grey) hunting around the clock but they also do it in town as well. They may attack fawns assuming mother is not about.

My 4 month old Black Jersey Giant rooster attacked a fox. He had a help by Americana rooster.

They saved the hen from attacked by fox. They kicked his/her *** pretty good.

Last spring I had a sick mangy fox attack and kill ten (!!!) hens one day; they were mostly big birds and all actively laying at the time. A neighbor's work crew saw it all happening, and did nothing.
somad.gif
My roosters didn't intervene, or at least they all lived. It was a very bad day; the older retired hens, and some youngsters, survived. That fox was shot by another neighbor a few days later; he was ill and went for the easy prey. mary

I think the only reason foxes haven't nabbed one of my hens is because I have a big, barred rock rooster. I know for a fact because I left him out one night I was so mad at him (I blame a couple of hen's deaths on him and when he became human aggressive and injured my hand real good.....). We've had foxes galore. In the morning he was still pacing around and the fox was more interested in my unguarded hens! He even walked up to the rooster, who stood his ground, and then the fox walked away. So, stay of execution for him! Anyway, if something is around, he'll stand at the door of the 'safe house' while the others are in. A few months back, one of my hens got wounded and I think it was because the fox went around to the other door where the rooster wasn't standing. I keep that door closed now. I am now in the process of revamping my larger, open top day time run with six foot fencing, electric wire and aviary wire across the top. So they'll have one safe and covered run inside another safe and covered outer daytime run. We've had the current arrangement for almost 20 years and have only had one loss in that big open run. (I realize now it must have been a hawk.) We were out of town for a week when it happened. Now for many of those years I didn't even have to close the coop and inner run up at night, just an occasional possum. But eventually that had to stop. But I do believe that when that hen got injured awhile back, the fox must have been interrupted by my rooster. It's crazy now with all the predators. I heard the hen squawk and the sound of something hitting the cyclone fencing. I was going to go look but I heard no further noise so I assumed it was a chicken squabble. I realized later she had a couple of nasty puncture wounds. I know the roo, he'll go get in the middle of whatever is going on. I wouldn't leave it all on your roo to defend them though. At least I don't want to. But by all means, get that big roo. I'm always interested to hear about that breed of roo.

Yeah, I think a couple of those foxes wore out their welcome and were shot. I went from seeing them daily to none at all. However, I've heard one the other night. I will never assume. Some large critter just hit the fence tonight when I was out. I think it was this monster raccoon I've seen a couple times lately.

I don't think all foxes are the same. You get one big alpha fox and he'll take down the roo. Others prefer easier game, it just depends. I thought our west side highest fence was some protection until I saw a big alpha show off jump over it like it was nothing. I counted four out there at one time one night. We sit on about 2.5 acres. One was actually in the neighbors yard. But even a smaller fox will knock around and catch something eventually. I had one run right by my open run a couple weeks back and boy did that build a fire under my butt to get this renovation done! It was just LUCK I was standing there. It was like "last call for alcohol". You can't rest easy with those things around.

I've read a few times now that the size of jersey giant roosters deters predators, but what predators are we talkiing about here and what is this actually true? I would especially like to know if their size deters red foxes which are usually about a foot and half tall, as that is my main problem here.
Our very dominant big Jersey giant rooster was just snatched by a bobcat we believe and the only thing left was feathers . Luckily the other Jersey giant is still with us but at the end of the day, it sounds like a fox or bob cst will still make the attempt and have no problem. Our roosters are very protective, large, and it wasn’t enough

Our very dominant big Jersey giant rooster was just snatched by a bobcat we believe and the only thing left was feathers . Luckily the other Jersey giant is still with us but at the end of the day, it sounds like a fox or bob cst will still make the attempt and have no problem. Our roosters are very protective, large, and it wasn’t enough
This thread is from 2013 my friend, you aren't likely to receive a response from the original poster.

Back
Top Bottom