Will this make a good incubator ?

That is one thing people will tell you on this website is dont over think things, they are just chickens so keep it simple. You dont need to exchange all the air with fresh every hour or anything like that. If you look at most store bought incubators there are not many air holes and they are not very big. I have plugs to block some of mine if needed but if you have a few and it holds temps ok you are probably good. I had 21 chicks in mine and no problems with moisture or with the chicks panting. Just keep eye on first hatch and adjust IF needed.

idunno.gif

Last edited:
I just ordered my incukit got everything wired up and ready !!!

Little Giant egg turners fit like a charm cut a nice 1" 1/2 hole to feed the cords out

I used a short piece of drain pipe generally found under the kitchen sink to make a nice grommet to protect the wires

The plug on the left is wired up to a switch these plugs are for the egg turners and the plug on the right will power the incukit

The homemade switch box so I can turn the egg turners off when needed

Last edited:
Looking awesome.......I like the mounted outlet boxes. I used power strips, 1 for the turners and 1 for the Incukit. I also labeled the cords as I plugged them in because it got kind of confusing with all the cords. I have 12 Silkie egss in mine and will candle tonight and post the outcome.

I have a suggestion. I haven't heard you mention a circulating fan for inside but I assume you will have one. When you install it, make sure there is a switch on it so you can turn it off during hatching. I have heard many people complain that they wish they could turn off their fans so the chicks that hatch slowly don't get stuck inside because they dried out before thay were through hatching.

I also bought an ac fan but I have not had time to install it. When I do I will put a slider dimmer switch to adjust the speed all the way down to off as I think it is to much fan for my size cooler. I might try angling in down across the heat sinks/humidity trays so as not to blow air directly on the eggs. The Incukit does a great job of moving air, it draws it from the middle and then blows it out all 4 sides, because of this that is why none of my trays go all the way to the inside walls, there is a 3/4" spacer to allow air flow. Seems to work ok but there is a degree or so difference top to bottom, not sure how comparable that is to other factory incubators but I will test with the fan and if I dont like it I will take it out.

Thanks everyone for all the comments and suggestions! I had thought about using a small computer fan it would be just enough to keep the air moving inside. I do plan on plenty of test runs before I even think about doing a hatch but I feel i'm getting closer for sure.

Back
Top Bottom