Sponsored Post Win an Ecoglow 20 Chick Brooder from Brinsea with your best tip for winter!

To winterize our coop we use cardboard boxes that we've cut open to cover the lattice work near the top of the coop. It gets very hot here in the desert and cold in the winter. So we cover our lattice work with cardboard boxes both inside and out and it's amazing the amount of wind and cold it stops!

Since our girls free range in pastures all year long and we're in New England, the snow can put a damper on their outdoor activities. So, while the colorful autum leaves blanket our pastures we mow them up and store the clippings in large, heavy duty trash bags. Then when it snows we shovel (or snowblow depending on the snow's depth) trails for the chickens and cover the trails with the grass/leaf clippings. Not only does it protect their feet from the cold snow but they always seem to find something to munch on in the leaves.
yippiechickie.gif

It's been mentioned already, but really is important, so I'll reiterate as my one tip. It's not exactly creative, but so important!
Ventilation. Ventilation. Ventilation. It makes sense in our minds to shut them up completely to lock in heat and keep out cold air and wind, but that will actually do them more harm than good. It might make sense in our minds that the eaves or ventilation slots across the top of the coop let out all the warm air since warm air rises, which is true, but as does the moisture, which you want to get rid of. Moisture equals frostbite equals cold chickens. If you've ever had frostbite.. you'll know to keep them vents open!

Last edited:
We don't get snow around here, but the rain and mud can be just as hard on a chicken. Fill in muddy holes with straw or bedding to help prevent the flock from getting too wet and chilling.

Our ladies prefer to live in luxury so we insulated the coop with shredded reading material. Even though they can't see it, they know it's there. They also enjoy being cozy so they have choices of crushed corncobs, pine shavings and straw. They love to bask in the ambient red light that warms them on super cold days. To make sure their feathers aren't ruffled, we line the outside of the coop with straw bales. As we all know, happy hens lay happy eggs, so we make sure their radio is tuned to their favorite Big Band station.

My girls get an extra thick layer of wood chips, but that's about it. I do switch to a heated pet bowl so they have water available at all times, though this winter I'm going to try out a birdbath heater in the bucket/nipple water system. Winters i central Ohio aren't too severe, so I have high hopes!

I live in Florida so winter isn't much different here! I do put out hay in the corners of the pen, line the coop with hay, and check the hay in the nesting boxes more often. I also put tarps up around the pen to protect more from the wind. It can get wet too, so I put boardwalks down for my babie so they keep warm dry feet.

Back
Top Bottom