Window wall for coop??

TheOgdensmenagerie

Songster
6 Years
Feb 4, 2017
Eastern Montana
So I searched the forums but couldn't find anything on this. I have a bunch of old windows that I would like to use!

I'm trying to plan a new coop and thoughts I wonder if I could use the windows for part of the coop! Maybe not all the walls of course. Since it's not a green house. Lol
But I think it would be beautiful to have the front wall of the coop all windows. And old French doors that I have.

We live in Cali no freezing or snow very mild 50s type winters. Summer gets hot 100+.

What are your thoughts on this??

So I searched the forums but couldn't find anything on this. I have a bunch of old windows that I would like to use!

I'm trying to plan a new coop and thoughts I wonder if I could use the windows for part of the coop! Maybe not all the walls of course. Since it's not a green house. Lol
But I think it would be beautiful to have the front wall of the coop all windows. And old French doors that I have.

We live in Cali no freezing or snow very mild 50s type winters. Summer gets hot 100+.

What are your thoughts on this??

Are they wood framed, aluminum or vinyl? That makes a difference.
Are they just sashes, new construction or replacement windows?

A full wall of windows might be a bit much. It's nice to have windows all the way around the coop for ventilation and letting light in.

I will be using old wood framed windows for my shed to coop conversion. I will install them hinged top with HC secured to the coop side of the rough opening.

Are they wood framed, aluminum or vinyl? That makes a difference.
Are they just sashes, new construction or replacement windows?

A full wall of windows might be a bit much. It's nice to have windows all the way around the coop for ventilation and letting light in.

I will be using old wood framed windows for my shed to coop conversion. I will install them hinged top with HC secured to the coop side of the rough opening.

These are old wood windows also. Some open some don't. I planned on putting HC on the inside of all that opened for safety and I wanted quite a few that opened for better ventilation due to our summers being hot. Also planned on a few windows around the other sides for air flow.

These are old wood windows also. Some open some don't. I planned on putting HC on the inside of all that opened for safety and I wanted quite a few that opened for better ventilation due to our summers being hot. Also planned on a few windows around the other sides for air flow.
Sounds great!
Where did you score the old windows? I have to go buy mine from a local recycler.

In principle, nothing wrong with it. In my opinion letting in some natural light is a really good thing. You and they need to be able to see in there. Natural light can help them go to bed at night.

Where you are heat is a real danger, cold is not. Not sure what your area looks like or how much shade you have, but I'd put them on the north side away form direct sun if the sun can hit them. Avoid the greenhouse effect.

Good plan on the ventilation/hardware cloth but for air flow but I would not put windows on the sunlight side because of potential greenhouse effect. I don't know what your coop will look like but a good way to provide ventilation on that side is to leave the area under an overhang open (covered with hardware cloth).

I don't know what your severe weather lows are but you could probably leave all the ventilation open year around. Windows might come in handy to keep rain out. People in your climate often use an open air coop, where one entire side (or more) is just wire, nothing solid at all. Rain would be the issue, not cold.

I reused some old windows.
A couple were used as a wind block in front of pop door.
The rest were already cleated into the building I built the coop in,
so the sills and frames were already built,
with some framing changes I was able to top hinge 8 of them.
They are propped open all summer, then cleated shut in winter.
Can see pics on My Coop page.

My father in law is a carpenter and happened to come across them in one of his clients houses. It was a lucky score!!
Awesome. Have him be on the lookout for other neat stuff along those lines. One man's trash is another man's treasure takes on a whole new meaning when you are raising chickens!

Back
Top Bottom