windows?

FlyingDoughnut

Songster
6 Years
Jun 18, 2013
I haven't gotten chickens yet and the coop is going to be made of a shed and once the snow melts we're going to get it made that we have and the windows are glass and a bit broke(there is a small breeze from it) is there anything i need to do to them?

yes, take out the broken glass and cover the opening with hardware cloth. Before next winter, you'll want to figure some way to cover the windows, board or plastic etc.

how is the ventilation in the shed? you will definitely want to make sure it's vented higher than the roosts are, yes even in winter. Actually helps prevent frostbite on combs and feet to make sure all the moisture they exhale can vent out.....

yes, take out the broken glass and cover the opening with hardware cloth. Before next winter, you'll want to figure some way to cover the windows, board or plastic etc.

how is the ventilation in the shed? you will definitely want to make sure it's vented higher than the roosts are, yes even in winter. Actually helps prevent frostbite on combs and feet to make sure all the moisture they exhale can vent out.....
there is no ventilation in the shed... i'm going to have to do a lot this summer(or spring if the snow actually melts
barnie.gif
)

I have two big windows on my coop and it was crazy how warm those windows make the the shed during winter. I am in Canada and we get pretty harsh winters here, but those windows really made a big difference. I would say do not cover it up with anything other than plastic if you have to, the more sunshine you let in the better. When i still had a thermometor in there (to test my coop warmth out) it would be around -15C or so but still warm enough on a sunny day in the coop that the water was not freezing.

I have two big windows on my coop and it was crazy how warm those windows make the the shed during winter. I am in Canada and we get pretty harsh winters here, but those windows really made a big difference. I would say do not cover it up with anything other than plastic if you have to, the more sunshine you let in the better. When i still had a thermometor in there (to test my coop warmth out) it would be around -15C or so but still warm enough on a sunny day in the coop that the water was not freezing.
we don't have very much sun shine there, there is a tree next to the shed
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom