Wing injury

Yes it looks to be mostly bruising. No open wounds but we have her in a cage and wrapped her wing closed to her body with a ace bandage.

Shes probably squaking and flapping because she doesn't like the ace bandage but sometimes you have to just bare with it even if you hate it
1f602.png

Ok so her wings are turning black now, she won't walk or stand only wants to lay on her back with her feet in the air. About every hour we hear load squaking and flapping in the the hospital coop.

Is she still in the wrap or have you taken it off? I don't know everything about chickens, this is only my second year with them but the black could either be the bruising or the skin dying if there's a lack of blood flow to the area. Is it oozing or dry? She might be on her back if you still have the wrap on her because she doesn't like it. Continue to make sure she's eating and drinking. I wouldn't wrap her wings unless you really think they are broken because keeping the wounds covered could cause infection and it's better to let the wound air dry.

I don't think it looks good. Wings are now showing signs of puss and looks like infection. Plus the smell, yuk. I think this is the end for her. Input??

I've seen many stories of chickens pulling through even if they have infection the wound needs to be kept clean but feel free to do whatever you believe is the right thing because you are the one seeing her and if you think she's suffering and there's no way she'll make it then go ahead with your decision. If possible try to drain the wound and clean it really well with antibacterial soap and warm water and start her on antibiotics if you have them.

if it were me I would try to hold off on culling until I tried every option but it's ultimately up to you and if you believe there's no help but I would start her on antibiotics or purchase some antibiotic spray to really clean her wounds, I saw another thread of a chicken who had black on her wound and it was the infection. The biggest thing is to keep the wound clean and wipe out the infection because that's the biggest thing. Make sure she eats I'm not sure whether or not you said she was but if you can get her some scrambled eggs she's probably feel better.

Sorry about your chick. Use your own judgement on culling her. I would not let her suffer. If you want to try saving her, clean the infected area with betadine or similar. She sounds really sick though.

We have been cleaning and dressing the wounds for a couple of days plus antibiotic spray and creams, from last night till today it has spread to almost the entire wing and smells like gang green.

Back
Top Bottom