Wing Sexing Chicks

I don't know, I just have one Buff Orp, a pure pet, and she was bought sexed already.

I doubted the wing sexing in the beginning, but I have found it to be true.

Last year, I had one clutch of seven eggs all laid by the same hen, all the eggs laid consecutively by her (I had her caged exclusively with one male Buckeye to insure fertile, "known" eggs). This one hen laid her eggs every other day so it took 14 days to collect the seven eggs. I set these 7 eggs, and they all hatched. Wing sexing showed them all pullets. I said, "then it must not work, . . . they can't all be pullets. . ." WELL, I was wrong, all of them were pullets! I couldn't believe it!

I'd like to hear from folks who have hatched other breeds and tried it.

CHRIS

Quote:
You wouldn't by any chance have a picture so I could see what you mean? I really want to get some buckeye hens and this would be a great thing to know how to do!

OK.

Feather sexing can ONLY be reliably done in birds of ANY breed that are BRED fast feathering female to slow feathering male.

If that is done, feather sexing can be done. Else, it is general and just a guess as these traits on feathers may not pass to the F1 generation as strongly as parents were chosen.

Quote:
All these boring things like facts and logic. Bah. I still wanna try it. It's sort of like gambling when you think you have an edge (even though you never do) Think how impressed your friends will be if you're MORE than 50% right!

We have hatched 6 clutches and have yet to be wrong with our Buckeyes. I have some two day olds at home and will try to get pictures of their wings. The video link above is a better illustration than my chicks though. I hold my chicks up to a light so I can delineate the lengths of the wing pin feathers [through the chick down]. Otherwise, a quick glance, by me, they all look same length-- so careful look through the light.

meriruka wrote:
silkiechicken wrote:
OK.

Feather sexing can ONLY be reliably done in birds of ANY breed that are BRED fast feathering female to slow feathering male.

If that is done, feather sexing can be done. Else, it is general and just a guess as these traits on feathers may not pass to the F1 generation as strongly as parents were chosen

I don't know the science behind it, but it works with my Buckeyes. It also worked with some Buckeye crosses (Buckeye X easter Egger). Again, I didn't buy it to start with but since it works for me, I always check my hatches now.​

Well, it probably can work since how they feather out is sexlinked and even if you bred the from a stock that was previously bred out to be fast girls and slow boys, the off spring may just very well be feather sexable if you noticed your boys growing feathers in slowly. So this is something you can do in your own flock.

I tried it with my birds and I just recvd them yesterday I I definatly see the difference in formation hope its tru because out of 14 birds 12 appear to be female we shall see!!!!

I did the wing sexing on my two SLW chicks at 3 days old. I should have one of each. One had short even feathers, the other longer uneven feathers. The cockeral is now starting to show the beginnings of a comb, little points developing on his forehead while the pullet still has a smooth forehead.

Back
Top Bottom