Wing Sexing Chicks

RIR females will have a small black stripe going down their heads.
wee.gif

This may have been stated already, I didn't read all the posts closely, but an older gentlemen showed me a trick last fall and it has been 99% accurate with our chicks thus far this spring. Tie a ring on a string and hold it just above the chick, very close to it's body but not touching. The ring will swing in a straight line back and forth for males and in a circle for females. It works on any animal and people as well.

Here's a link that just worked for me.

I just bought a dozen Black Australorp hatching eggs...does anybody know if this method of sexing works for these birds?

Quote:
And how do you get the ring back out of the chick's crop after he?she swallows it? Or will cockerels swing back and forth and pullets swing in a circle?
clap.gif
(Sorry, I don't mean to make fun of something I've never tried, but the picture this conjured for me was just funny!)

Quote:
i must be really stuiped LOL
but whats RIRs?

roll.png

p.s. im new to all this chicken stuff first hatch hatched 2 days ago!
wee.gif
very happy!

Can you tell if the colors of our several day old auracauna chick looks he or she? SHE(crossing fingers) has the most beautiful eyes that look like she has eyeliner on. We call her Cleo, short for cleopatra.
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom