Winter Egg Production

We noticed our egg production had dropped off so we added a couple of solar lights to our coop. Production isn't the same as what it was in summer but it is better than it was before the solar lights! You can buy them pretty cheaply on Amazon.

Two eggs today out of fourteen BO hens. I'm running my Christmas lights on my coop light timer right now so my "extra lighting" is entertaining my neighbors instead of egg production!
hmm.png

I agree with the others who said to keep a mixed flock of various breeds known to be better winter layers such as Barred Rocks, Australorps,
and, surprisingly my Welsummers are laying some as well my Easter Eggers, even w/o added light to their coop.

When the days became shorter laying nearly stopped and we were going to add light on a timer to the coop when they seemed to 'adjust' to the
difference and now we're getting about 16 eggs per day from 25 pullets which is more than enough for us during winter when the farmers mkts
where I sell them are not up and going again until spring.

This won't help much now but if you can't get light to the coop by next year you can freeze eggs by whisking them well then freezing them in ice trays and then popping them out when frozen into freezer bags for use when the hens are not laying well. Two of the 'cubed eggs frozen' equals one fresh egg for recipe purposes.

Back
Top Bottom