Winter Gardens/ Greenhouse!

Pics
@CCsGarden how do you keep your chickens from eating your sunflowers so that they can grow this large? I am just in love with your sunflowers and would love to try to grow large ones, but I’ve read that chickens just love eating them. Do they bother your large ones?
I fence them off normally.
Chickens do love to eat them🤨🤣

Wow! Do you keep everything in pots all summer to grow?
Oh, no. These are for my tomato, pepper, and any other starts I want to grow. I'll be planting seeds in about a week.

I'll probably do 70 pots of tomatoes this year. 10-15 peppers of various kinds, I'll try loofas again, and see what else is in the seed bin.

I order seeds in December/January, and it's like going shopping when you're hungry. I get a whole bunch of things that fall under the heading, "Ooo! That sounds good! I want to try growing that!"

Oh, no. These are for my tomato, pepper, and any other starts I want to grow. I'll be planting seeds in about a week.

I'll probably do 70 pots of tomatoes this year. 10-15 peppers of various kinds, I'll try loofas again, and see what else is in the seed bin.

I order seeds in December/January, and it's like going shopping when you're hungry. I get a whole bunch of things that fall under the heading, "Ooo! That sounds good! I want to try growing that!"
Oh yes, I know the feeling! And now I’m staring at them all thinking, “Now where on earth am I going to plant these?” Never enough space!

That sure is a lot of tomatoes! Which one is your favorite variety? Did you have luck with loofas? Those seem like a really interesting crop.

That sure is a lot of tomatoes! Which one is your favorite variety? Did you have luck with loofas? Those seem like a really interesting crop.
I can 55-60 quarts every year. Hubby likes a lot of HOT salsa, so I need some for that. Plus fresh eating.

At the end of the season, I take the green tomatoes and make wimpy green salsa for me.

My best producers have been Italian Heirloom and Hungarian Heart. And some others I can't think of at the moment.

398.jpg

I can 55-60 quarts every year. Hubby likes a lot of HOT salsa, so I need some for that. Plus fresh eating.

At the end of the season, I take the green tomatoes and make wimpy green salsa for me.

My best producers have been Italian Heirloom and Hungarian Heart. And some others I can't think of at the moment.
That’s so wonderful to be able to produce all your own salsas and can that much. It’s always so much more tasty than store bought. I planted some Hungarian heart ones this year, I can’t wait to try them!

I'm not planting any of my special seeds this year, except the tepary beans. Everything is boring "varieties" until I figure out the differences for growing in this area.

Clay vs sand, water levels, sun and heat differences, etc.

I did get boring sweet corn in the ground for a cold tolerance test. If nothing grows I have plenty of seeds to replant, but if just one plant makes it through the cold and produces I'm ahead of the game.

Back
Top Bottom