Winter is almost here!! Share your tips and tricks for coping the elements with your chickens!

(That's my coop in the back
smile.png
).

This is the vent holes i left do they need to be different
Those are awfully small vents, but it's hard to tell how large they are by just looking at these picture. Also, will rain and snow blow in them? Your eaves don't seem very big. My main vents are 1' by 3 ' covered by hardware cloth on opposite sides of the coop, under the 2 foot eave overhang. Another vent I have is 2' by 2' covered by hardward cloth in the back of the coop where there is no wind and also protected by the large eave and my house. So far the vents seem to be working although I was worried I didn't have enough.

Those are awfully small vents, but it's hard to tell how large they are by just looking at these picture.  Also, will rain and snow blow in them?  Your eaves don't seem very big.  My main vents are 1' by 3 ' covered by hardware cloth on opposite sides of the coop, under the 2 foot eave overhang.  Another vent I have is 2' by 2' covered by hardward cloth in the back of the coop where there is no wind and also protected by the large eave and my house.  So far the vents seem to be working although I was worried I didn't have enough. 

There only 2inch wide My coop is 8 foot by 8 foot and 8 foot tall there's a door on that wall and there's one on the left I was thinking about cutting a 1 foot by 1 foot door at the bottom of the one in the picture so that as much air couldn't get in this winter and only they could walk in and out of it...what do you suggest

What the best/most economical way to keep this double walled steel waterer unfrozen during the winter? The waterer is kept outside, holds 5 gallons of water, I live on southern IL, temps get into the single digits and I have electricity.

Last edited:
What the best/most economical way to keep this double walled steel waterer unfrozen during the winter? The waterer is kept outside, holds 5 gallons of water, I live on southern IL, temps get into the single digits and I have electricity.

If you have electricity, you might want to consider a heated dog dish.

Back
Top Bottom