Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

How do you attach the shower curtains to the run??
I don't attach shower curtains...

But at a guess I would use those lath strips (thin flat strips of wood, maybe 1.5 inches wide and 8 or so feet long) so the curtain (or tarp) edges were sandwiched down with the tarp or curtain as tight as possible. Specifically to reduce damage by winds.

How do you attach the shower curtains to the run??

I don't attach shower curtains...

But at a guess I would use those lath strips (thin flat strips of wood, maybe 1.5 inches wide and 8 or so feet long) so the curtain (or tarp) edges were sandwiched down with the tarp or curtain as tight as possible. Specifically to reduce damage by winds.
You can use a staple gun just to get the shower curtain up, but I would suggest that you do reinforce the shower curtain via strips to hold it down on your coop.

Hi there! I need help on the difference between "good ventilation" and "draft free". Our little coop came with two vents (both covered with hardware cloth) that have a sliding wooden cover on them. One is above the nest box and the other is above the door/window. We have left them open during the warmer months. I'm guessing these would constitute a "draft" in the winter - which we don't want. This little coop is by no means "air tight". Do you think closing these vents during the winter would suffice for "draft free" but still ventilated? Thanks!

Attachments

• Clubhouse8579(1).jpg
    Clubhouse8579(1).jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Clubhouse8986Animated(1).gif
    Clubhouse8986Animated(1).gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 6
Hi there! I need help on the difference between "good ventilation" and "draft free". Our little coop came with two vents (both covered with hardware cloth) that have a sliding wooden cover on them. One is above the nest box and the other is above the door/window. We have left them open during the warmer months. I'm guessing these would constitute a "draft" in the winter - which we don't want. This little coop is by no means "air tight". Do you think closing these vents during the winter would suffice for "draft free" but still ventilated? Thanks!
I think it will be very hard to have draft free ventilation in that tiny coop.
Bigger pics of the whole thing, inside and out, might help.
How many bird sleep in there?
Is there a run attached?
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048597/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts

More photos. 3 hens - buff orpingtons. The photos are stock photos...we have it set in an area that is blocked from the north and east winds. They are allowed to free range as they please during the day.

Attachments

• Clubhouse8563.jpg
    Clubhouse8563.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Clubhouse9012.jpg
    Clubhouse9012.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 5
thanks! The vents are over their heads. If it's going to really rain hard with a blowing wind, I'll shut the vents half-way...I can see doing that for snow, too. We rarely get snow...maybe an ice storm once a year. It'll get down into teens but winter is typically a spell of freezing temps at night (think upper 20's) to above freezing during the day followed by spells of non-freezing temps.

thanks! The vents are over their heads. If it's going to really rain hard with a blowing wind, I'll shut the vents half-way...I can see doing that for snow, too. We rarely get snow...maybe an ice storm once a year. It'll get down into teens but winter is typically a spell of freezing temps at night (think upper 20's) to above freezing during the day followed by spells of non-freezing temps.
Instead of shutting vents halfway... if you shut one completely, and leave the other wide open, then the wind shouldn't blow in. It usually works much better at keeping out rain or snow than both half open.

At those moderate temps your big issue will be frostbite. So never close both.

Back
Top Bottom