Winter Layer Poll

In their second winter & beyond, what breed of chicken laid eggs in the winter with no extra lights?

• Total voters

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
I have searched and found many threads about winter layers. It seems like many people have questions about getting eggs in the winter. Hopefully this poll will help!

My question is, AFTER the first year of laying, what breed of chickens do you have that actually laid eggs in the winter, WITHOUT supplemental lighting?

If your hens laid in their second winter & beyond, approximately how many eggs did they lay each week? Please leave a comment with this info.

If you had not eggs and had to provide supplemental lighting, please explain how much and what breeds you did this with, but do not check a breed in the poll since they needed extra lighting.

Thank you so much! I am very interested in hearing the results, and I am sure there are many of us wondering the same thing.

I have searched and found many threads about winter layers. It seems like many people have questions about getting eggs in the winter. Hopefully this poll will help!

My question is, AFTER the first year of laying, what breed of chickens do you have that actually laid eggs in the winter, WITHOUT supplemental lighting?

If your hens laid in their second winter & beyond, approximately how many eggs did they lay each week? Please leave a comment with this info.

If you had not eggs and had to provide supplemental lighting, please explain how much and what breeds you did this with, but do not check a breed in the poll since they needed extra lighting.

Thank you so much! I am very interested in hearing the results, and I am sure there are many of us wondering the same thing.
Most of my birds lay during winter, while others are taking their break.

This includes my Heritage Plymouth Barred Rocks, Silkies, Buff Orpington, my project Orpingtons, some Bantams, & few others.

We average around 6-12 eggs during the winter, depending on who's laying that day.

I use natural light only, no artificial lights. I let my hens go through their natural laying cycles.

Awesome! I figured my 10 girls would stop laying in the winter. If we can get a half dozen eggs in the winter I will be super happy!

Back
Top Bottom