Winter time gravity fed nipple waterer

I use this heater. Just drop it in the water supply and forget it. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Allied-Precision-Deluxe-Bird-Bath-Heater-and-De-icer/17365953

It is available many places. It is built like a tank, metal shrouded electrical supply cord. It cycles on and off by temperature.

I know folks are using light bulbs in flower pots and glass aquarium heaters, but I think this is a safer approach. It certainly is durable. If you can get 110 volt power to the coop, this might be the answer.

Chris

Unless your "fountain" is very close to the bucket, I doubt you'll get enough heat transfer to keep it from freezing, even if the bucket remains liquid.

Generally those bases say not to use with plastic fountains

Hey Chris
Does heating the water in the 5 gallon bucket keep the nipples themselves from freezing? I live in the same "neck of the woods" as you and have been wondering what to do about my watering system. Bucket with a faucet attached, short hose to pvc pipe with nipples attached, all attached to outside of coop. Distance from bucket to nipples about 2 feet.
We don't have many freezing temps, last winter maybe three times.....lol but would rather plan for it now than when it does freeze up.
Thanks for any information.
Murphy

Back
Top Bottom