winter treats

birdginia

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 28, 2012
Finally we got snow in the northern woods- in a big way!

My girls will not even come out of the coop - I would like to prepare a hot treat for them - any ideas? Cook up their cracked corn?

Thanks!

I've cooked cracked corn for my pigs and gave some to the hens, they loved it! Add a lot of water, about 2 parts water to 1 part corn. When you boil it for a few minutes and let it cool down the consistency will be like really lumpy porridge, so be careful if you feed it warm, it may feel cool to the touch, but be very hot inside the clumps. I've burned my fingers quite badly a few times when I broke it up! Even after I let it sit for most of the day. Break it up with a fork and check the temperature before you feed it.

Here's a great thread that will give some more ideas for winter treats:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...the-oatmeal-so-what-other-foods-for-cold-days

Last edited:
I posted this elsewhere on this forum yesterday.
Our girls have been getting warm, moist mash with ground muskrat in it for the past couple of weeks. The muskrat is cooked. They love it and need the extra animal protein as they're coming out of molt. It's winter too!
They've got snow in their yard but certainly come out for their warm treats.
Regards, Woody

Fabulous - I actually have some cracked corn cooking on the stove right now - yes, your suggestion to make sure it is cool is good - I think I will put the pot in the snow to cool down, give the girls some this morning and evening too - happy soltice!

love the protein idea - may have to use peanut butter unless my cat brings home a rodent - muskrat? Do you trap it yourself? fascinating!

Back
Top Bottom