Winter Venting Issue

Nixonfamilyusa

In the Brooder
May 16, 2023
Maine
New Chicken Owner, this is our first year.
We have have 5 Gals, no Roo's - residential zoning.
Originally I bought this coop, it said it was good for 3 chickens. However, on setting it up, even two would be a tight squeeze.
LittleCoop.jpg

We originally wanted only 3 chickens, but considering this was too small, we decided on a 6x4 shed in a 10 x 13 run.
we learned chickens should have about 4 sq feet in the coop and about 10 sq feet in the run.
so we bought this shed and set it up in the coop. its actually a few inches shorter on each side, not really 6x4 but close.
At this point in time we were thinking space, safety but were not aware of ventilation requirements.
the louver vents each measure 9x4 inches and there are 4 per side so about 36 square inches per set of louvers, or about
144 sq inches, equating to 1 sq foot. therein lies my problem.
unfinishedCoop1.jpg

I have cut the louvers out to maximize space and covered them with screen material.
but I still worry about how to ensure there is enough venting in winter so that the moisture of 5 bids can escape.
i thought of a small fan, but am worried about drafts. Ceiling is 6.5 feet high. roosting bar is at about 18 inches off floor.
I have recently learned you need about 1 sq foot per chicken, i just don't see how that is possible in this setup. maybe when i rebuild next summer.
any ideas?

VentCover.jpg

CoopAndRun.jpg

image was taken during construction, shows the orientation in the run etc.

No, not really enough ventilation, shat is the mareail covering the modified vent area?

.....and chicken wire is not predator proof and may not hold up that tarp with snow load.

Fans can be risky.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1697918326542.png

No, not really enough ventilation, shat is the mareail covering the modified vent area?

.....and chicken wire is not predator proof and may not hold up that tarp with snow load.

Fans can be risky.

View attachment 3664936
Agree with the fan thing. It fell on my chicken once. Chicken was fine but haven’t used a fan in my coop since.

I have a metal shed as my coop as well. I also had the issue of ventilation. We put in a mesh door hinged on the other side so can close the metal door in cold/wet/windy weather or close the mesh door when it’s hot. We also installed a whirly bird. And then we cut out rectangular gaps high up along each side wall, covered with mesh, and built eaves to stop the weather getting in.

Fans can be risky.

View attachment 3664936
The material covering the louvers is PVC used for covering roof gutters to keep leaves out. The run now has that square mesh around it too 4 foot high and covering the entire run for predators.
I am currently working on snow load. Each vertical post is reinforced with a 2x4 and each horizontal tube is braced in the middle with a 2x4. I will be running 4 2x4 along the roof span and a clear / see through tarp over. We are in Maine so a considerable amount of snow.
was thinking a small 12 volt computer type fan bolted to one of the louver holes.
will update my profile.

I have a metal shed as my coop as well. I also had the issue of ventilation. We put in a mesh door hinged on the other side so can close the metal door in cold/wet/windy weather or close the mesh door when it’s hot. We also installed a whirly bird. And then we cut out rectangular gaps high up along each side wall, covered with mesh, and built eaves to stop the weather getting in.
Thanks, how effective was the whirly bird? I don't like the design of this steel shed. there is a top rail and bottom rail, self tapping screws go in each and that provides the structure. cutting any piece of the all would impact the structure, which is why am rebuilding next spring after rain season. Will be a wooden frame possibly reusing the steel panels.

The run now has that square mesh around it too 4 foot high and covering the entire run for predators.
What square mesh(wire gauge and hole size)?
Is it 4' high or covering the entire run, just the vertical walls or the roof too??

The material covering the louvers is PVC used for covering roof gutters to keep leaves out.
But you removed the metal louvers that came with the shed?

I have seen this fan, its 4.7 by 4.7 inches. can operate at 3, 6, or 12 volts.
At 3 volts its 750 rpm and 28 CFM, would replace the air in coop in 14 mins.
o.1 watt so fairly energy efficient.
fan .png

What square mesh(wire gauge and hole size)?
Is it 4' high or covering the entire run, just the vertical walls or the roof too??

But you removed the metal louvers that came with the shed?
standard 1/2 inch square mesh, i think 19 gauge.
its 4 feet high, wraps around the all vertical walls. Not installed on roof.
I did cut out the louvers, the opening was very little and i cant imagine it allowed a lot of air flow. I may install square mesh on inside of them.
my yard is surrounded with chain link, we are residential and not many predators in our neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom