Winter Venting Issue

standard 1/2 inch square mesh, i think 19 gauge.
its 4 feet high, wraps around the all vertical walls. Not installed on roof.
I did cut out the louvers, the opening was very little and i cant imagine it allowed a lot of air flow. I may install square mesh on inside of them.
my yard is surrounded with chain link, we are residential and not many predators in our neighborhood.
Raccoons love residential areas....and they can chew thru PVC and chicken wire.

Raccoons love residential areas....and they can chew thru PVC and chicken wire.
Do you recommend square mesh on roof too?
Do you think the 4.7.x 4.7 fan I found may work for ventilation if screwed to metal gable piece? It has a variable speed controller.

Do you recommend square mesh on roof too?
Up to you how much risk to take....but 1/2" Hardware Cloth(HC) would be much more secure than the chicken wire.

Do you think the 4.7.x 4.7 fan I found may work for ventilation if screwed to metal gable piece? It has a variable speed controller.
Not sure about that.

Up to you how much risk to take....but 1/2" Hardware Cloth(HC) would be much more secure than the chicken wire.

Not sure about that.
Appreciate your help and insight. This week's goal is to finish reinforcing galvanized tubes from run with 2x4 lumber, wrapping with plastic with ventilation on front and back at top.

Attachments

• IMG_20231022_125552467.jpg
    IMG_20231022_125552467.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
If you don't get that run predator proofed your not going to have to worry about ventilation. I am also in a residential area and have see a long list of critters in or around my chain link fenced yard. Everything from full grown deer , fox, opossum , skunks and racoon. I had little muddy hand prints all over my coop from them looking for a way to get a chicken midnight snack.

Keep in mind that the spaces between the rafters will be susceptible to sag or failure under snow load.
Agreed. However, I am a little low on options right now. Initially intended to build a lumber framed run, but was given the galvanized pipe run as a gift. I am hoping to copy this idea but with 4 2x4 per gable piece and plastic tarp this year, possibly polycarbonate next year. The Bay space is about 6.8 ft which is long for a 2x4 to span, hopefully 4 would take a moderate snow load of I broom it off each storm.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231027-211206-960.png
    Screenshot_20231027-211206-960.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
Keep in mind that the spaces between the rafters will be susceptible to sag or failure under snow load.
The "bones" of my run are a metal green house frame. I put hardware cloth over the top, and then a heavy duty tarp over that. The HC supports the tarp between the metal tubes of the frame, a 2 foot span. The tarp has lasted VERY well; this will be its third winter. I have it tied down with zip ties to keep it from flapping in the wind.

We get plenty of snow in Michigan. When it snows, I pull the snow off with a push broom, even if it's only an inch. That's one of my chores at open up, treat time, and lock up during snow season.

We have 15 girls and a 12x16 coop 7’ ceilings with a 7/12 pitch roof and with ten 4” soffit vents and four 12”x12” gable vents. It appears to be dry in the coop…the bedding is dry and we don’t have any moisture build up anywhere that I can tell. We are in SW Michigan and I am wondering if this is enough ventilation? I am pretty diligent about cleaning up any poop in the coop but, with them hanging in doors more due to the winter storm and stirring up the bedding much more it’s harder to get all the poop out of the bedding. My hygrometer is saying the humidity level is around 75% which seems to be high but, the outside humidity is 86% but, it doesn’t seem to be humid in the coop. I’m concerned about frostbite and want to see what everyone’s opinion is on the ventilation. Thanks for any advice.

Back
Top Bottom