Winter water?

You got me worried! I just went out the coop to make sure it was still working. OK so far. I will post a scathing review if it fails.

I just googled "wiring thermostatically controlled receptacle" and came up with a number of hits. Maybe buying quality
components and wiring something up would be an option.
I prefer Ranko--but you have to wire them generally. I also use these: https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-..._1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1479910668&sr=1-1 They tend to work very well and reliably.

my problem is a much larger version. I've got a stock tank deicer in the barrel which keeps it thawed but still working on a solution for the pipes without having to use heat tape.

I live in Ohio and I am on my second winter with chickens, what I use is a galvanized container and with electric base. I had good success last winter. I have 2 containers that I keep alternating. Good Luck.

40 chickens, 3 turkeys, 5 ducks, 5 geese and 1 Red Golden Pheasant.....
1-5gln plastic pail, apiece of 1/2" plywood cut to18x18" and another cut to into diamond of top of pail, 2-2"#8 screws, 1 pce of 1x4 about 4" long, a pigtail socket, a piece of electrical conduit(cord)with a male end(prongs), a 40-60watt bulb, a 2" or 3"hole saw bit for a drill. Draw a line all around the pail 4"" from the bottom then "hole saw" holes with bottom of holes on the line. Attach circular plywood to square plywood by screwing through both into 1x4 to be used as "handle", drill a small hole in the plywood to put conduit through, wire up the pigtail and put in bulb, suspend bulb about 5" above the top of the holes by using goop kind of glue on cord/lid junction. I put the contraption in a large aluminum cookie tray and put fresh water 2x a day. It doesn't freeze unless it gets really cold(-20*C). Problem....it adds moisture to coop interior.
I use the same method for waterers in the pigeon coops.
I still have water dishes outside too. Usually stainless steel pots wider at the top than the bottom. That way if it freezes it's easier to get out.
I like to keep water birds in a different coop because they like to "bath" in their water or at least "slobber" making a mess inside.
Pigeons are also housed seperatly.

Back
Top Bottom