Winterizing ideas for a mobile chicken tractor.

GreenWillow

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 23, 2016
Franklin, WI
Hi there! We have three beautiful chicken tractors we built this spring (see picture) and our initial plan for winter was to park them inside three separate secondhand ShelterLogic-style sheds from November to March. The tractors are 8x10' and the sheds we wanted to get are 10x20'. We plan on facing them south (we're in Wisconsin), opening up the tractor door and letting the chickens roam during the day inside the shed "run" - fertilizing our future garden plots for corn and squash. ;)

The only issue is I've had my eyes peeled all summer for used ShelterLogic sheds and I've only been able to buy one. So we are at a loss for winter shelter for the other two tractors. This would be our second winter with chickens in this area, but our first winter with the new tractors. Things can get very cold and I'm worried that the corrugated steel roofing won't retain much heat, as well as the wind whipping up underneath their butts at night with the open-to-below roosting area under the roof.

My half-baked plan at this point is to "insulate" the tractor roofs with some TekFoil reflective insulation and then block the wind with extra plywood along the bottom of the roosting side of the tractor. This crazy chicken lady could use some suggestions!!

IMG_5096.JPG

You can get tarped in garages at Harbor Freight, Might work. Or get shower curtains or clear tarps and use strapping to tack them on over your frame.

I'm curious as to what you ended up doing. We live in Northern Ontario and I was planning on building a similar tractor, but insulating it with rigid foam insulation and 1/4" plywood on the interior, as well as covering the run section with clear plastic.

I'm curious as to what you ended up doing. We live in Northern Ontario and I was planning on building a similar tractor, but insulating it with rigid foam insulation and 1/4" plywood on the interior, as well as covering the run section with clear plastic.
I'm curious too, but it looks like the OP hasn't posted or been "seen" since January 2019.

Back
Top Bottom