Winterizing ideas

blumenmadchen

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2015
I have four chickens (2 BO, 2 EE). This will be our first winter. We are near Seattle, WA but in the mountains so we do get winter (we get quite a bit of snow, but our temps are not super low). The chickens have a large run (~10x30) along the side of our house that is not fully covered and a small prefab coop. The coop has a 2x2 closed in space which is where the chickens sleep and then there is a 2x6 space I call the screened in porch (hardware cloth sides) which has their food and water. They spend all of their day out in the run, but the coop is open so they can eat/drink. For the winter I would like to close in the porch so they can get inside and away from the cold when needed but I'm not sure of the best options. I could cut some plywood to cover all of the hardware cloth (except at the top for ventilation), or wrap the coop with tarp. Would the tarp be enough insulation? I'd be leaving the coop door open so they could still go in and out. Building a new coop is not an option, and I know that many would say that the coop is too small, but it seems to be working for my ladies. I cant post pics from my phone, but the coop is just a simple common prefab design.

Don't fret it. Don't do anything different.

CHICKENS DON'T GET COLD!!!

Your birds were developed in colder climates than WA state.

They die from excessive heat and bad air - not cold.

They go to bed and wake up clothed in a down jacket.

Keep the ventilation wide open and your birds will be healthy. Coop them up and they may suffer from respiratory problems.

Hi! Mind you, I live in So Cal. I winterize by turning off the fan.
gig.gif
cool.png
I did have chickens in Mi though, we just put carpet covered wooden boxes in the milk barn. If they were cold, they went in. They take the cold really well. Especially the Buffs. I'm just mentioning crowding.

The coop has a 2x2 closed in space which is where the chickens sleep That sure seems small...6 " per hen? Are you sure it's 2X2 not 2X6?
and then there is a 2x6 space I call the screened in porch (hardware cloth sides) which has their food and water. They spend all of their day out in the run, but the coop is open so they can eat/drink. For the winter I would like to close in the porch so they can get inside and away from the cold when needed but I'm not sure of the best options. 2X6 might be a little tight, but if it's working, no worries. I would be concerned though that a long cold winter or a period of bad weather if they weren't able to venture out, that just wouldn't be enough protected space for them. They could get testy with each other. Ammonia and humidity, stale air may really build up.
I could cut some plywood to cover all of the hardware cloth (except at the top for ventilation), or wrap the coop with tarp. IMO, I would cover the porch with something, even if just as a wind break and for peace of mind.
Would the tarp be enough insulation? I'd be leaving the coop door open so they could still go in and out. Building a new coop is not an option, and I know that many would say that the coop is too small, but it seems to be working for my ladies. I cant post pics from my phone, but the coop is just a simple common prefab design.

Yes, the closed in space really is 2x2. Thats what I get for taking the word of the farmer I bought from
1f61e.png
In actuality the chickens (at least three of them) shove themselves into one if the nesting boxes (its 1x1) to sleep. I have already tried closing off the nesting boxes and moving them onto the roosts, but they have always slept curled up together, so I gave up. Since its such a small space is why I thought of inclosing more. So, do you think a tarp is enough? Or would wood be better? I am also concerned that there is not much space if we get a long string of cold days. I am really hoping that the house will provide shelter from the wind and I have a small covered area in the run to give them additional dry/snow free space and they will continue to go out in the run.

Yes, the closed in space really is 2x2. Thats what I get for taking the word of the farmer I bought from
1f61e.png
In actuality the chickens (at least three of them) shove themselves into one if the nesting boxes (its 1x1) to sleep. I have already tried closing off the nesting boxes and moving them onto the roosts, but they have always slept curled up together, so I gave up. Since its such a small space is why I thought of inclosing more. So, do you think a tarp is enough? Or would wood be better? I am also concerned that there is not much space if we get a long string of cold days. I am really hoping that the house will provide shelter from the wind and I have a small covered area in the run to give them additional dry/snow free space and they will continue to go out in the run.
Gosh, I just don't think that's enough space to winter them. I'd use wood then and enclose the patio to give them 16sq ft total. That's kinda the minimum. I'm no expert, but a 2X2 weatherproof space per bird for a winter should be ok?

ETcorrect nothing. I thought I mistyped to say that 2X2 for 4 birds was ok.
duc.gif

Last edited:
1f61e.png
Cover the roof with plywood and I wrap the sides of my run with a commercial grade clear shower curtainkeeps the snow out and let's the sunshine in.

Cover the roof with plywood and I wrap the sides of my run with a commercial grade clear shower curtainkeeps the snow out and let's the sunshine in.

The run is way too large for me to cover with plywood (its a bit over 300sq ft), but i do plan to create another covered space (there is currently one section, about 20sq ft) in the run. The run is bordered on both sides by houses, so the wind is cut quite a bit. As long as they will still go out into the run, I'm not concerned. But I may use some plastic like you suggested to make a little 'warm room' so they have another area besides the coop to hang out in during snow /rain storms. I hadn't thought about that before.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom