Winterizing the Chickshaw 2.0?

MamaManda

Songster
10 Years
Dec 2, 2011
SW Washington
My Coop
My Coop
We have a Chickshaw 2.0, which houses 55 birds, comfortably. We are in SW Washington, and expecting an unusual cold spell with lows in the mid 20's next week. The chickshaw design has quite a bit of hardware cloth exposure on the sides, as well as the entire bottom, and I am wondering if/how anyone has winterized their chickshaw for cold temps. I know they will keep each other warm at night, but wondering if they will all stay warm ENOUGH. Would it be wise to add clear plastic to the sides, or do anything else to give them more protection?

I am not familiar with Your coop, (Chickshaw 2.0. ) Google only showed a small movable tractor,, that looked questionable to house 55 chickens.
image_2022-11-05_023350706.png

All that aside,, Let me tackle the chickens needs.
Chickens need a draft free area,, so that may mean,,, you block off the prevailing winds that may affect the interior.
You are in a mild temperature zone, so make the coverings easy to remove, when not needed. I suggest the lite tarps as a good alternative to clear plastic,, which does get harder to install and remove. You choose what is best, and what is on hand for you.
The mid 20's temps are not a problem for chickens, if in draft free area.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom