Wire cage build

ForTozs

Chirping
10 Years
May 20, 2012
Mississippi
So things are getting pretty serious for me now getting started with some quail. See my mistake here? Any chance adult Coturnix would be able to stick their head through there, or do I need to cut off the front and replace?

IMG_2578.jpg

And actually, I haven't cut out the doors yet, so I'm starting to think I can save this by just making sure the orientation is right for the doors

And actually, I haven't cut out the doors yet, so I'm starting to think I can save this by just making sure the orientation is right for the doors
It looks like you're trying to duplicate the Wynola Ranch style cage with egg rollout and feeders on the outside front? I'm not sure it'll be comfortable for the birds trying to get their heads through the wire with the 2" gaps going horizontally. If you make the doors big enough and can get the 2" gap vertical, that will probably work fine. That said, I've got one bird whose head is wide enough that I actually had to bend the vertical wires on one gap outward so he could fit through to eat. I did the same on the back of the cage for the waterer.
All in all, I like my Wynola Ranch cages, but will probably do something different when I build my own. I'm planning to have at least some portion of the floor be solid instead of wire so they can get a rest from being on the wire all the time. I'm still debating my options.

That needs to be covered in 1/2" hardware cloth. The quail can stick their heads out and predators can reach in.
Well, the 1" x 2" welded wire is by design. I actually want to allow the quail to stick their heads out and put the feeder on the outside of the cage. They will be kept in a garage, so I don't foresee any problems with predators. But I think the way the wire is on front, they won't be able to easily get to the trough on the outside, because I oriented it 90º wrong. But I think I might be to get the doors in the right place, and just make sure that wire is oriented correctly. About to work on that right now. Next cage, I think every side will be a seperate piece.

Well, the 1" x 2" welded wire is by design. I actually want to allow the quail to stick their heads out and put the feeder on the outside of the cage. They will be kept in a garage, so I don't foresee any problems with predators. But I think the way the wire is on front, they won't be able to easily get to the trough on the outside, because I oriented it 90º wrong. But I think I might be to get the doors in the right place, and just make sure that wire is oriented correctly. About to work on that right now. Next cage, I think every side will be a seperate piece.
I'm curious about where you got your wire. I've been looking for an inexpensive source for the 1" x 2" and for the 1/2" x 1" vinyl coated, but haven't had much luck unless I want to buy 100' or longer rolls.

We had ours basically like that (old rabbit stackers that we used for quail later on). Ours were good, especially since they could jump and not smash their heads on a solid wood ceiling, but when a racoon got in the room, they were able to pull two of them through the wire partway

It looks like you're trying to duplicate the Wynola Ranch style cage with egg rollout and feeders on the outside front? I'm not sure it'll be comfortable for the birds trying to get their heads through the wire with the 2" gaps going horizontally. If you make the doors big enough and can get the 2" gap vertical, that will probably work fine. That said, I've got one bird whose head is wide enough that I actually had to bend the vertical wires on one gap outward so he could fit through to eat. I did the same on the back of the cage for the waterer.
All in all, I like my Wynola Ranch cages, but will probably do something different when I build my own. I'm planning to have at least some portion of the floor be solid instead of wire so they can get a rest from being on the wire all the time. I'm still debating my options.
So I was able to do the doors with the gaps vertical, and I think it will work. I may have to be careful about which feeder/watering troughs will be compatible, but I think I can at least salvage the cage. Yes, this is similar to Wynola Ranch, and really based mostly off of the Coturnix Corner video, but slightly taller. I plan on putting small trays of sand for a dust bath, which hopefully will make them happier and give their feet a rest. All in all, I was surprised how easy it was to put one together, and its definitely worthwhile if you want to save a few bucks.
IMG_2580.jpg

I'm curious about where you got your wire. I've been looking for an inexpensive source for the 1" x 2" and for the 1/2" x 1" vinyl coated, but haven't had much luck unless I want to buy 100' or longer rolls.
I got mine from Fencer Wire. 2' x 50' of the 16 Gauge Black Vinyl Coated 0.5" x 1" was $83.99 and 3' x 50' of the 14 Gauge 1" x 2" was $112.89. Free Shipping. I could probably build about a dozen cages or so.

Back
Top Bottom