Wobbly 2 month old Silkie Chick

If it has Marek's , it got it from another bird that had Marek's. If that's it.
That's why a flock history is good to have. I know which chicken brought it in to my flock because she was the only one that had contact with other birds. Keep on with the vits. And think about other possibilities of what it could be.

I've only introduced two adult birds into my flock over a course of about two and half years of having chickens (got my first pullets in 2010). Other than that, I raised a batch of chicks last year and the ones I'm raising now.
One thing I will note is that about a month ago, I lost one of my older hens to unknown causes. I just found her dead one day underneath the front porch after at least five months of "depression"; she didn't act listless, but wasn't as lively as the others. Could it have been Marek's?
After examining the chick this morning, I noticed that the other foot was beginning to slightly curl up like the other and that the wings are held loosely. It really seemed to make a sincere effort to walk around the tote I've separated it in, which surprised me.

An appointment with the vet was scheduled tomorrow for a necropsy on the chick, who will have to be culled that day. I think it is the best option I have for the chick at this point.
None of my other Silkies are showing any issues whatsoever. However, one of the other Silkies that I know is a male has had seizures occasionally, though I believe this to be a vitamin deficiency.
The main thing that worries me is that if the isolated Silkie has Marek's Disease, it could be spread by anyone who comes over.
I got this batch of chicks from Tractor Supply in March; I think I should just get chicks directly from a hatchery, vaccinated, from now on.

Last edited:
Very difficult issues to identify & sort through. I feel for your struggle!
hugs.gif

Very difficult issues to identify & sort through. I feel for your struggle!
hugs.gif

Thank you!
smile.png
I feel bad for this chick because he has become very tame and sweet since he started with this condition. He always talks every time someone enters the breezeway.
I just really need to know what I'm dealing with here, and hopefully, the necropsy will reveal it.

Have you checked to see if it might have a slipped tendon in its hock?
There's info on that on the Poultry Podiatry page on my site.

I researched it, but this was a gradual thing that came on. Plus, both legs seem to be getting weaker. I will check the chick again, just in case.

Just checked the chick. I placed it one the floor and one leg stretched forwards, while the other backwards. One of the wings fanned out too. It feels so limp and weak. I'm pretty sure this is Marek's Disease.
sad.png

Last edited:
Your other one may have wasted away. That's usually how it goes. I guess it does sound like Marek's. Especially 2 now. I find the younger ones get paralysis and the older ones get the wasting. Do you think anything came from the 2 adults you added?

Back
Top Bottom