Wobbly chicken?

kreidepriinnz

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2022
My wyandotte hen is my eldest and easily my favorite of my birds—and she’s been wobbly on her feet and disoriented today. she’s just about 2 and a half years old, almost 3 this year. she doesnt seem lethargic, but she is slow and seems to lose her balance and stumble easy. she’s eating as best she can, and misses both her food and her water at times. it almost looks like her depth perception is off?

i’ve looked around the internet and it says she might have a vitamin E deficiency, but her symptoms are really sudden. i do freeroam my chickens and i do have neighbors, but havent had a problem in the last 4 years i’ve been chicken keeping. what should i do?

My wyandotte hen is my eldest and easily my favorite of my birds—and she’s been wobbly on her feet and disoriented today. she’s just about 2 and a half years old, almost 3 this year. she doesnt seem lethargic, but she is slow and seems to lose her balance and stumble easy. she’s eating as best she can, and misses both her food and her water at times. it almost looks like her depth perception is off?

i’ve looked around the internet and it says she might have a vitamin E deficiency, but her symptoms are really sudden. i do freeroam my chickens and i do have neighbors, but havent had a problem in the last 4 years i’ve been chicken keeping. what should i do?
Vitamin therapy wont hurt. (I'd give an E tablet and 1/4 B-complex daily for about a week to see if there is any improvement.) I'd keep her separate for a few days so you can be sure she doesn't get bullied, ensure she's getting enough to eat and drink, and monitor her condition.

Some possible causes for sudden balance issues are ingesting toxins, head injury, or malnutrition from an undiagnosed disease. Do her eyes look normal and are her pupils responding normally to light changes? How is her body condition/does her breast bone feel too sharp/prominent under her feathers?

Back
Top Bottom