Wobbly head chick

onwingandhoof

Songster
Apr 17, 2020
Im now raising this chick indoors with another we hatched. I discovered it has a strange head wobble. It drinks, eats and plays really well. However, it has developed a weird head wobble. I'm posting a link of a video of it via You Tube. If anyone has any experience with this, I'd appreciate anything and any ideas as to what this is and how to treat it. It did have a rocky start. I was cleaning the chicken yard and checked on Belle, his mom. Thought she had poo under her nose, but no. It was her baby, this baby. It looked dead so I rushed it in the house and warmed it up. It was slow to walk and still very unsteady when the next baby hatched 2 days later.

Attachments

• 20220417_113018.jpg
    20220417_113018.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 22
It won't hurt the others to eat some minced boiled egg with a few E oil capsules broken open and stirred in. It will benefit the affected chick to have the others eat with it as it stimulates the chick to eat where it might not if alone.

It won't hurt the others to eat some minced boiled egg with a few E oil capsules broken open and stirred in. It will benefit the affected chick to have the others eat with it as it stimulates the chick to eat where it might not if alone.
Agreed. They all ate together and it was a feeding frenzy... but my little one got his full E today. I have to say he didnt have as many aggressive seizures today. Most of them seem to come from him eating, preening and beak cleaning. Seems like when he has to use his head to do some back and forth motion, is when it gets triggered. I could be wrong, it's just how it looks. I will keep up with the posts. I really do appreciate all the help. Curled toes and spraddle legs are much easier to deal with. Hes looking pretty boyish... I may have to keep him and that'll make 5 roosters...omg.

So today is Tuesday, it's too soon I know. But I want to say there has been improvement. He no longer seems to have the bad seizures. Theses were ugly and his head twisted fast and he lose his balance. So far its just like in the video I posted. He's still doing a head wobble but not in a seizure like way. I have noticed it happens when hes anxious. Whts anxious in a chicken!? Feeding time with treats! Otherwise he goes the day without a wobble. It' seems only to appear with excitement.

Sounds like pretty good progress. Keep up with the E for a while longer. The chick will either grow out of this or it may be a chronic issue when it gets stressed. Only time will tell.

Sounds like pretty good progress. Keep up with the E for a while longer. The chick will either grow out of this or it may be a chronic issue when it gets stressed. Only time will tell.
Agreed! I'm hoping it grows out of it of course. She's slated to go to another home when shes ready. But if they dont want her, she'll stay with me. I dont cull unless they'll have no life to live. She's one of the neediest little chicks I've ever raised. Even if it turns into a boy, it still stays. I have 5 roosters, what's another? 🤣

Wonderful news! It's now June 12 and it's been 3 days since I've seen any head wobble! It looks as though she is finally cured. It has taken a month of vitamin E and supplements to get this cured! But it was worth it. She has had no seizures or even a slight head wobble. I'm so impressed, amazed and very thankful. Shes now become a member of the house! I'm a caregiver for my mom who lives with me and shes adamant that little Mia is now a house pet. It's been good for her to have Mia in the house, so it looks like she'll have to stay. Shes been a fun little girl to have. Thank you all for the advice and help.

Attachments

• 20220603_145006.jpg
    20220603_145006.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220603_145041.jpg
    20220603_145041.jpg
    545.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220601_125522.jpg
    20220601_125522.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220601_144226.jpg
    20220601_144226.jpg