Wobbly unbalanced chicken

Jkrodgers17

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 7, 2014
have a very sweet speckled Sussex gen that has recently started being very wobbly and sleeps a lot carries her wings lower than normal. She eats drinks and preens like normal. But it seems she has trouble getting her siight lined up to first drink or eat And she does carry her head at times to one side almost like it hurts her. Her poo was runny at first but is normal after being on antibiotics for a day or so. She was pecked about the head a few weeks ago and lost some feathers on her head which are now starting to gone back. Her waddles are paler than the rest of the flock. I am wondering if this is neorological and if anything can help. She is really a sweetheart. When you first put her down she falls or stumbles a step or two befire she steady herself she wAlked kind of squatted and rests a lot as well as being very vocal. She prefers to eat sitting down. It appears to be something neurological.16%layer crumbles. The rest of the flock is eating the same thing. I had to pull her out of the flock as they were attacking her. She just does not seem to be able to move normally like her motor skills are not firing consistently! She suffered some pecking about the head around three weeks ago and starting exhibitin signs gradually worsening about a week after I discovered it. She preens eats and drinks fairly normal she just doesn't have any coordination and appears weak in her overall movements carries her wings low and walks in a stooped position. Sometimes she twists and holds her head funny.

Last edited:
16%layer crumbles. The rest of the flock is eating the same thing. I had to pull her out of the flock as they were attacking her. She just does not seem to be able to move normally like her motor skills are not firing consistently! She suffered some pecking about the head around three weeks ago and starting exhibitin signs gradually worsening about a week after I discovered it. She preens eats and drinks fairly normal she just doesn't have any coordination and appears weak in her overall movements carries her wings low and walks in a stooped position. Sometimes she twists and holds her head funny.

Take a pic when she twists her head.Most common signs of botulism is wing paralysis and legs also limber neck losing the ability to hold her head up.Plenty of clean water and vitamins may help botulism but usually fails

Wow it sure sounds like what she has. She is still eating and drinking and talking very well. How would she get it and not the rest? I introduced a flock block about 10 days ago and it was shortly after that we noticed symptoms. We were letting them free range until the red hawks moved in taking 5 of my girls in two weeks. So we penned them up until I could get them a run built. It was a 12 X11 canopy type enclosure and only 8 hens. I bought the block to help them keep busy and being bored. Just don't know how it could be just the one but anything is possible. Appreciation of everyone's ideas and thoughts. For my fingers crossed she makes it.

Good morning all. After valiantly fighting to the last breath my sweet little Sussex took her last breath. I buried her in the hillside where the sun always shiny and plenty of grass grows. It may seem silly to some but I love and respect the life of each of my babies. Little miss diamond never failed to greet me and talk talk alwsys looking for a caress and a snack. Even the last day she ate from my hand and talked. Even though just a chicken she was special rip babygirl

Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom